Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going thru some of my parachutes from last season and a few of the white ones have rust colored stains near the hooks.
I was wondering if anyone had any tricks to clean it up rather than having to buy new ones/replace hair etc.

Thanks in advance for any help/comments.

Best,
Jim

·
Registered
320 Posts
The same as bone-a-fide said but if you have time on your hands I use hot water with soap and one of my girlfriends brushes! Whew she hates that! haha.....good luck

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
They turn out pretty nice if you dunk and shake in hot water with Dawn dishsoap, then rinse, hang to drip some, then cobm and blowdry. I have'nt tried it yet but someone had mentioned on here some time ago about running them through a dishwasher cycle.

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
If they are too bad - for $4.00 - June Bug tackle will retie them for you - 410 644-4855.
With some parachutes costing $10 to $12.00 - not a bad deal to save a good lure.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Fill a bowl with fabric softener & water, soak chutes a few minutes then rinse and brush out..........works great!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
:Jim the best way I have found is to cleat em off and go WOT for a few minutes and that usually does the trick...:thumbup:Jim seriously if real bad I retie new hair, cabelas has a nice vise kit for about $20.Pound of hair is cheap yet priceless.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Hit em with a spray bottle of 1/2 strength Simple Green.....let em sit a few minutes then wash in warm soapy water....rinse, brush out and hang to dry.
A round styling brush is real good for chutes.......cheap at any dollar store.

On second thought trim the hair on the hook side of the head shorter than the hook point......shouldn't have the problem again and chutes will run better.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Wash in dish soap with a boost of oxi-clean. Takes the rust right out! Then spray with kid's de-tangler (my kids' stuff smells like pears) and blow dry. Didn't think it mattered until last spring when we started catching a lot more fish than previous years when we thought it didn't matter.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
All 40 of mine went in the dishwasher last week, shads and all. None the worst for wear

·
Registered
678 Posts
I second the kids detangle spray... It does not take the rust out but does a great job at setting the hair straight when you put them up for the year... Been using it for years and the hair is still in great shape. Gonna try the dish soap and Oxi-clean trick, thanks.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Great idea. But you must not be married. I can see me know trying to convince my wife!
After 27 years of dating and marriage, I've learned it's a lot easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. :yes:

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Did you hang them in the dishwasher?
That kids hair detangler is great stuff, I'll have to try that. Normally I hang mine in a 5 gal bucket with water and a shampoo/conditioner mix.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Did you hang them in the dishwasher?
That kids hair detangler is great stuff, I'll have to try that. Normally I hang mine in a 5 gal bucket with water and a shampoo/conditioner mix.
Couldn't hang them. Have rinse bars top and bottom. Just laid them out in the racks

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
When she is NOT home is the key! I have been known to use the blender for spot chum before

TED

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
When she is NOT home is the key! I have been known to use the blender for spot chum before

TED
That is a brave man. The chutes in the dishwasher is quick in and out. Spot chum can leave evidence.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts