Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out Friday out of Smith Point. Have a small CC, so pretty much limited to 5 boat rods trolling.

Anyone willing to give suggestions on color/depth/rig type? The posts seems to favor white over chartreuse - but can't tell if chutes, mojos, or umbrellas are the way to go.

Anyone else heading out Friday?

(anyone know if the water is deep enough at Smith Point Marina to launch?)

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Find the bait and start from there.... If i were pulling 5 lines It would go something like this:

300' 4 oz. chute white or green
250' 20" umbrella with 6oz. inline weight
200' 20" umbrella with 8oz. inline weight
150' 20" umbrella with 12oz. inline weight
100' 20" umbrella with 16oz. inline weight

Make adjustments from here.....and have a few hands on deck to reel all those brellas in...

Shawn F

·
Premium Member
26,247 Posts
If you got time- try rigging a heavy duty three way swivel on your lines.This will let you get an extra lure in the water.

Use a parachute or MoJo as the weight-instead of an inline sinker.You can find MoJo's up to 32 ozs.

Drop 5-6 feet for the parachute- then off the other leg of the swivel= go 12 feet or so to the umbrella rig.We catch alot of Rock on the "weight" :thumbup:.This doubles your chances.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the great info - didn't think to use a mojo to get the parachute down lower. That's exactly what I'll do.

ANyone have a thought on #21 Tony spoon vs. a 25 stretch on the WWWB?

·
Premium Member
26,247 Posts
Watch using a Stretch WWB - they often find a way to tangle the other lures- due to the way they track behind the boat.Best for the WWB to stay up high.

I love a WWB - 320 feet with a 2-6 oz parachute as the weight and a #21 Tony or a 11/0 or 13/0 Cripple Alewive spoon.Put it on your longest rod and in your highest rod holder.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Find the bait and start from there.... If i were pulling 5 lines It would go something like this:

300' 4 oz. chute white or green
250' 20" umbrella with 6oz. inline weight
200' 20" umbrella with 8oz. inline weight
150' 20" umbrella with 12oz. inline weight
100' 20" umbrella with 16oz. inline weight

Make adjustments from here.....and have a few hands on deck to reel all those brellas in...

Shawn F
I agree with shawn- he has a very good layout for you. If it were my boat, I would start heavier and work lighter towards the afternoon. From what i've noticed this fall the bite tends to be deeper early and as the water warms a few degrees around lunch, the bite turns on up top on the planners. Every day is different but the dummys and short / heavy rods were getting smashed tuesday. If I only had 5 lines in the water I would use shawns spread and make sure that long line is rigged tandem with a 21 Tony w BB swivel:thumbup:

The 150 w/ 12oz and 100 w/ 16oz can be fished real deep as long as you slow down / stop the boat on deep marks then ease up the throttle. Normally we have 28oz inline and even deeper dummys out to take care of that part of the water colum but for your sake just fish your 150 and 100 higher and slow down every now / then. Good luck!

Oh yea- and don't use the stretch

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
My 5 rod spread would be

umbrella with 20 oz out 7-8 bars
umbrella with 20 oz out 6-6 bars
tandem with 3/6 oz bucktail out 13 bars
tandem with 3/6 oz out 16-18 bars
solo chute of 3-5 oz out 20-25 bars

1 - 8 of 8 Posts