Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for Blue Cats in the Northern Bay for a fish fry but haven't been able to find them. They are not in the spots I usually slay them in during the spring. Channel edges along the Elk and Sassafras in 12-24 feet of water. Tried deeper holes in the Sassafras up to 36 feet and out in the main channel along channel edges in 24 feet of water. Not a great fisherman but not being able to land catfish is a new low=(. Have mostly been using chunks of frozen bunker.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Looking for Blue Cats in the Northern Bay for a fish fry but haven't been able to find them. They are not in the spots I usually slay them in during the spring. Channel edges along the Elk and Sassafras in 12-24 feet of water. Tried deeper holes in the Sassafras up to 36 feet and out in the main channel along channel edges in 24 feet of water. Not a great fisherman but not being able to land catfish is a new low=(. Have mostly been using chunks of frozen bunker.
I'm not a blue cat fisherman but thought fresh bait was better. Gary is the blue cat expert and will surely be able to point you in the right direction.

Mike

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
You need to find fresh water and cooler water to find Blue cats.

·
Registered
15,233 Posts
In the Summer, the blue cars retreat from the bay waters into the head waters of local rivers where there is less salinity. They lay in deep holes during the day and feed at night on ledges. I don't even mess with them in the Summer...........Gary

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
i was at the invasive tournament on the nanticoke river saturday. that river is filthy with blues- but catches were not as high as i expected and those that were caught were very small, only a few bigger ones.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
We didn't get into them until we were North of the Dover bridge on the Choptank.

·
Premium Member
26,483 Posts
I wonder if the Blues are feeding at night ? Few friends caught a couple Blue Cats up by Worton Point about 6 in morning - but none during the day. They have to be somewhere and feeding.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
In the Summer, the blue cars retreat from the bay waters into the head waters of local rivers where there is less salinity. They lay in deep holes during the day and feed at night on ledges. I don't even mess with them in the Summer...........Gary
Why not Gary? Is it because you re busy crabbing, because they are hard to catch during the day, or because you don't want to stress fish out in the hot water?

Thanks

Pat

·
Registered
15,233 Posts
Why not Gary? Is it because you re busy crabbing, because they are hard to catch during the day, or because you don't want to stress fish out in the hot water?

Thanks

Pat
I fish for them hard in November, December, March and April. They spawn in June. I am crabbing all Summer and Fall.........Gary

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I find that when I fish very shaded areas during the daytime, like under a barge or bridge pilings, I catch them all summer. They’re not very big though. 3-5 lbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts