Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious how close in the Mahi regularly come to shore in the summer. I am actually considering running all the way down and out the bay from the northern neck area. It takes me about 1.5 hours to reach the mouth of the bay. I could probably stand running out another 25-30nm from the mouth and still make it back home at a reasonable hour. Leave at 5 AM, back at 4PM and 5 hours of lines in the water.

I have fished for them out of NC in the past, but it is a long way to trailer.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I am with you, good Question..?? I'm only 20-30 min. from Cbbt.
Shot in dark, Seems I remember weed lines at 30-40mile mark. (20-30 yrs ago)
Catching the small schoolie dophin (chicken?) was ALOT of fun!

·
Registered
166 Posts
good luck. they dont regularly come in very close. although the past 2 years some were caught around the triangle wrecks and even as close in as the light tower, but that is not typical. not saying it wont happen again but nc is a much better bet IMO. it really helps if the blue water pushes in

·
Registered
49 Posts
What size boat are you running? I have not ran off of Virginia Beach either but want to do so this year if conditions get right. I did make my first run offshore last year from Hatteras and went to the rock pile and then fished my way out to the 500 and 600 foot line. Got 3 on the line but was only able to boat 2 of them. Buddy boated so I felt a lot better than being out there by myself. Post when you go...let us know how it turned out..

EGWYNN
Fish Eyed Fool
23 ft Seafox C/C

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
good luck. they dont regularly come in very close. although the past 2 years some were caught around the triangle wrecks and even as close in as the light tower, but that is not typical. not saying it wont happen again but nc is a much better bet IMO. it really helps if the blue water pushes in
Triangle 30miles? tower -20?

Is this something that just needs to be watched/ looked out for? (may happen if condition's are right)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I fish out of Wachapreague and have caught gaffers as close as 12 miles, the only reason we were trolling in that close was it got rough and we trolled all the way in from the Lumpy Bottom. We have caught good numbers of gaffers on the 26 mile hill.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
We caught some smallish mahi around the triangles last year. We went fishing for BSB and flounder and then trolled for a couple of hours and caught maybe 8 up to about 3lbs. I sure wouldn't run out there if that is all you are looking for, and I wouldn't try until later in August.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You can catch them as close as the buoys around the tower when the water is right. They can also be caught on the fingers. Not sure I would make that trip just to check the buoys around the tower though.

www.South-Tackle.com

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Catch them every summer within 10 miles of the beach. Troll the CB buoy line, around the tower reef, or the lumps off sandbridge.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have a 24' Albemarle on a trailer here in Raleigh. Right now I am fishing out of NC inlets and pulling the boat there and back. My parents have a house with a dock near Windmill Point.

The fishing in our area of the bay does not get good enough for me until July/August when the drum, cobia and spanish mackerel heat up, that is followed by striper season. I don't care much for flounder and croaker.

I was thinking I would leave the boat up there starting in August, fishing out of NC until then. It would be a lot of fuel but I love to eat mahi and want to keep catching them! if they come in closer during late summer (they do here in NC) a 3 hour run each way is doable for me. Right now its a 2 hour run out of the wilmington area.

Yes, my question is how far out do I need to run to consistently find the fish in August/September. With good weather, in 3 hours I can run about 35nm offshore of the mouth of the bay.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
They seem to show up every year near-shore between August and October. We actually hooked and lost a nice sized Mahi just outside the CLT in October of last year. Had some other big pulls as well but never landed anything but a few Cobia on that particular trip. Anyway, if the bait is around and the water is pretty they will be somewhere nearby. Keep 'Em Bent!!

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
63 Posts
You might want to look at leaving your boat in a Boatel in the Va Beach area. The cost might be offset by the fuel/time savings of running down from Windmill Point, also much closer if the weather turns on you.

·
Registered
556 Posts
We saw gaffers inside the CLT a few years ago but to boat that far for the chance of seeing some is like finding a needle in a haystack

·
Registered
150 Posts
Years past out of Chincoteague, we have caught them up to 12# while in sight of the beach. We were chumming for sharks, but couldn't get sharks due to the peanuts and chickens. Chum certainly worked to concentrate them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back on this as July 4 is approaching, might have a day to make this long run. How has the fishing been lately?

Also, are there any websites that contain more info about offshore fishing in that area. Looking for numbers and general areas. Like I mentioned earlier, I have some experience fishing out of NC.

I'm considering making the run straight from windmill point, or possibly heading to cape charles, spend the night and get after them real early.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Caught 3 last weekend 15-20 miles off false cape... missed many more. They were on a weedline, biggest was 22lbs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts