Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on fishing the elizabeth river and lynnhaven for puppy drum in the summer time. im new to the area and only fished these areas once or twice without success. just wondering what works and when. im looking for some light tackle pullage and just trying to get ready for this summer, tackle wise. thanks in advance for any help:thumbup:

·
Registered
207 Posts
My experience there dates back to the 1970's. I caught them inside the Eastern Branch marshes, in spots where the guts opened up into small "bays". High tide, dusk, surface lures on a fly rod. Since then people have learned to catch many more than I ever did using bait at night. Why not research posts here from the last several summers - you'll learn plenty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just began fishing the Eastern branch of the Elizabeth last fall so I really can't tell you much about the summer time pups. but I have caught many good sized specks in the same type marshes that deltaville talked about. I do hope to catch some pups also so I hope the see some info here. good luck maybe I see you on the river I will be the one with the orange kayak.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
The 'slag pile' will hold some fish but be aware its shallow and there are piles that are in a semi circle around the end of the pile. At low tide you can see them. If you work up close to the slag(outermost end)and SLOWLY work in,you have a good chance. Peelers and live bait work. Good luck. Thats all I can tell you with out being a target!:eek2:

The best thing is to work the creeks/marshes that dump into the main river.:2guns: Gotta run.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Directly across the river from the slag pile is a shoreline that stays at 3-5 feet depth even in close to the beach. I go there at night with cut crab ot fresh cut bait and do pretty good. Anything will bite a peeler crab and if you can keep small live bait going you may get into some larger reds in the same area....good luck.
CPB

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys for the info. it helps and im sure as the more i fish it then the more i will figure it out. its all about spending time on the water. i appreciate the info.

husker1 i will take ya fishing anytime on my boat if you want

·
Registered
612 Posts
speckhunter:
there is excellent fishing in the lower E. The specks move into that area in early spring; there is structure all over: creek mouths, bridges, rip-rap, slag, points, old piers, etc. I look for the right amount of current: maybe a knot or so. If its ripping, reds might be there, but specks won't. If there's no current, move on. You need to find places with 3 things: depth changes there or close by, current and structure.
There are plenty of reds in the Lafayette, Western and Southern Branches and on the same structure from June on; I find the reds right on the structure and the specks off a bit, usually in a little deeper water (sometimes in really deep water, like 20' suspending in mid-depths) and on the backside of structure on the down-current side. The slag pile is good, but no better than any other structures with current in that area.
I fish artificials only, so for specks its soft plastics (a Stanley 5" wedgetail Mullet rigged weedless is my favorite in the fall; use the 3.5" in the spring) or stick baits and for reds we use Gulps, spinnerbaits and spoons. Both will hit a topwater, a Zara Spook or Top Dog are fun to fish.
Don't forget the rest of Hampton Roads. There are plenty of fish around the VA Hospital, Hampton Bar up to Peterson's Yacht Basin and the HRBT. Check the Hampton side of the tube up tight on an outgoing tide or the old piles near Petersons on an incoming. Fort Wool holds big fish in the fall. Some great spots in there.
Good luck!
Wayne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.