Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The jons in the garage for some mods and I'm thinking of some sort of sun shade or canopy to keep the beating sun off my balding head. I don't want a bimini top...I want something I can stand under if needed and not cramped. I've seen some larger boats (small skiffs in fact) with a lightweight PVC frame, attached to the floor/sides with a silver tarp bungeed to it thru all 4 sides...I'm wondering if this type thing might be workable on a 16 foor bay jon with high sides, plywood floor, extended front deck (current mod), 25 hp Merc etc. Any ideas or opinion are welcome.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
They do make large umbrellas designed for a boat and it has four straps that hold it up. Why not a bimini which is tall enough to stand under. It could be installed so you could fold down to the front or the rear of the boat so not to be in the way when not being used. My bimini has a permanent mount over the CC and all I have to do is remove the boot and it folds out with two straps.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wally world has 6' beach umbrellas for $14. Buy two and most of your boat will be in the shade. I'm sure you have some pvc laying around. total cost $28! [wink]

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bimini tops I've seen didn't have a lot of clearance...good for sitting under but standing...Maybe I haven't seen enough of them or are looking in the wrong place. Any suggestions for a binimi top source locally?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sorry, I'm no help with any locals who make them I have never had to replace mine. I have plenty of room to stand under the one on my boat and do know it was made in the Tidewater. I would think someone could make one to meet your specs but the price might get a little much.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My wife uses a beach umbrella.
I put the pole in a piece of foam insulation used for keeping water pipes from freezing and it fits right in a vertical rod holder.
Main drawbacks are it looks stupid and we can't keep it up while underway (or even when it's very windy).
Also, if I wanted to use it while fishing (standing up) I'd have to extend the pole somehow. Wouldn't be difficult.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts