Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Uncle Phil out on the new boat to try our luck in Eastern Bay. We wanted to try some topwater and test out my new bow mount trolling motor, well both were a sucess. Picked just about any shoreline from Crab Alley over towards the snooze and hit rip rap shoreline with piers. We got 3 keepers to 22" and alot of dinks and even a blue or two on topwater.

Of course I had to miss the big one of the day, huge blow up, big bend in the rod then a nice swirl and that was it. After the fog lifted and the sun came out the topwater died. Went looking south of Poplar and ran into a large fleet outside of the Tank. Started marking fish and got some nice 3 - 4 pound blues and some dink rock.

Uncle Phil schooled me when we were around the fleet, he had the mojo going because he probably caught 3- 4 or more to my one. All in all a real nice fall day, nice and calm and topwater to boot. Sure is nice sneaking up on them striped commies with the trolling motor. Water was 68 in the AM and 71 in the middle of the day. Phil and I were looking at my Furuno while we were running and the paddle wheel was saying 43 - 46 MPH. GPS had it slightly lower but still plenty fast for me.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Great post JP glad you found them. I need a ride on that stealth of yours I bet its nice and quiet and perfect for the hot spots.:D

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
JP glad you got some pullage.....sounds quiet is right......CBBT will be nice looking forward to a ride!.........:D

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Thanks for the ride John! Once again, another fruitful fishing trip. The new boat is very nice. The trolling motor is the ticket for shallow water work. :thumbup: Should be most awesome next April. ;-)

The only schooling were the blues. We were both getting bit, but I think the hookup ratio has something to do with the Zulu being stretched out by one blue only to have another one chomp down on the lure nearer the hook, while a BA just gets nipped off right away. I dunno?? Anyway, looking forward to more topwater action like that again! :yes:

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Nice report buddy- hows the check ups going Sir ?

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Nice job on the TW guys!!! There is always one that gets away!!! Good talking to ya Sunday....

OT- Like Jamie asked...How's your health???

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Congrats on a good morning. I'd love to be able to get a trolling motor up front on my rig.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
thanks for the rpt John,

Sounds like a good time on a nice new boat.
Hope the health is doing good.
:D

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
THanks for the report, JP. Chris and I hit some Ebay points last night and had trouble finding top-water fish. Finally got one nice fish up to the boat about sunset and a few other blow-ups & bluefish, otherwise, pretty poor. Glad to hear you got some on top.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
WTG JP! Looking forward to getting out w/you on your new boat someday soon.
Maybe Mike could come too now that he's really retired! :D

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
nice job fellas, good to see you reporting JP, hear you've been distracted lately.

what kind of trolling motor did you settle on? interested in power and shaft length.

TIGHT LINES!!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
John, I heard you called and told on me sunday morning... LMAO
I got detention for two weeks now.. no fishing! .next offense is a season ban. LOL

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hank - thanks, your welcome anytime

Jamie - thanks, looking forward to CBBT

Phil - man it sure was a fun morning

Jamie - thanks, still have the problem with the stiffness in my neck, they have me on Valium, Morphine, Daypro and Flexeril.

Andy - good talking to you as well, any time you troll and all 4 rods go down even if they were commies it's still a blast. look above for health answer

Josh - thanks, it was a bit costly but worth every last penny

Ron - thanks, doing O.K. everything coincidered

Shawn - we had a very weird tide all day on sunday, I'd bet you had a weird tide also

Tim - it would be a blast to get you and Mike out together, maybee topwater in the Gunpowder or Eastern Bay

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dirty Frank - been tough the last month with mom getting cancer and then our sump pump went out a few weeks ago when we had all that rain so I've been real busy checking in on mom and taking care of the house and myself.

I went with the Minn Kota Riptide, 24V., 62" shaft and 80# of thrust and hand control, glad I went from 52" to 62" because the 52" would have been out of the water on any little wave I hit.

Boz - Yea I told on you, you were in my spot, guess I'll have to camp out so that I can fish it, just kidding, didn't know it was you untill after I talked to Jamie and gave a shout out on 68 and got no answer, we still had some topwater action. Keep in mind that on a shallow tode those rock are only a foot or less under the water

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Glad to hear the TW bite is on JP nice going,Btw those numbers are right in line with what I'm getting.Gotta love mileage too...first time out I though the Gas gauge was stuck:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts