Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We left Poquoson around 7 am with heavy fog. Ran north to 59a started trolling north with no luck. We got close to 1 GW and decided to head back to 59a. We could see lots of boats east of us, so east we ran and ran. Finally we reached them on the east side of the cut channel. One fish landed. 35 1/2 " on a stretch 30 in 35 ft. Long rough ride home.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Good report. I agree with the rough ride home, what kind of boat to you run? I am in a classic Grady Offshore 24. I called it at 1 and running at 12 MPH it took about 45 minutes to get on the Deltaville side of the Rapp and smoother water for the rest of the run up above the Whitestone Bridge.

I don't get out in other (or newer) boats in the same conditions very often so, I can't judge how bad the beating is I get in mine in conditions like we had Sunday. When it's rough and I have a long run, I have to run my remote auto pilot and stand behind my helm chair, which puts me closer to where I would be in a center console, to avoid the abuse the forward helm of the cutty dishes out.

R

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2002 Seaswirl Striper walk around 22 ft. I ran 29 knots up and 10 knots back. I have had back surgery once so far and yes it does hurt more when we don't catch. My ride back was straight in the wind and waves. It took 3 hours to get home. Only took 1 1/4 hours to reach 59a. If the bite turns on at the coast in a few weeks I might try one more time.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks good but did he catch any of those fish. I did run across some of the best bait balls I have seen in years on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
You were real close to where we found the bite on Sunday. The western edge of the deep water from 1 mile above to one mile south of 1GW. Went north through the deep then circled back south up into about 45 foot of water, multiple fish on every pass going south. Nothing while going east, west or north.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I was not there ( he posted pic/ one of my old finders) and just guessing , Looks like 42 to right and I can barely read wolf trap light (?) bottom left.
My chart is on my boat ( to look up numbers)

Edit: http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12225.shtml

:fishing2: I pinpointed a lot of Crappie with that FF.. on Lake Anna, Little creek Res and Beaverdam Res.
old pic of mine at lake Anna showing cats, crappie and brush on bottom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts