Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found plenty of action from 59A to the RP between 8 and 10am. Caught about 20, most legal but none over 23", then wandered further north and east looking unsuccessfully for something better. We remained stuck on 20 for a couple hours before returning to where we began. The seas flattened out at 1:30, the birds and fish reactivated, and we caught/kept a few more to fill out a two-man limit. We did see two decent fish netted in the morning. Ended up catching 30, of which probably 25 were between 20" and 23". Tomics and shads at all depths produced equally.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I usually fish the Tomic on a 2 oz. or 4 oz. inline and a 15' leader. Yesterday, it was 4 but probably didn't matter. I am always surprised by the number of fish, and bigger fish, caught on a Tomic or a spoon way back with just a 2 oz. inline; it can't be swimming very deep. We also fished one yesterday dead on the bottom with 24 oz. of lead on a three-way with a 15' leader. Tomics float so there is no worry of snagging the bottom.
My experience is the Tomic and the Purple Haze swim shad produce fish more consistently than any other bait we pull. The best Tomic color scheme has been silver underside with a blue/gray back and the Purple Haze shad caught the biggest fish last season (41"). Elephants and peanuts.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Thanks! I've fished them behind a mojo and behind an inline with no luck on my boat. Worked the pit on another boat one day and we nailed them with a Tomic, but when I used the same color on my boat it did nothing the next day. I've done really good in the past on big fish with them and hope my two boxes of them will be useful again one day

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Satterly - the Tomics we use are 6". Today was the 1st time out since you asked. Caught 3 low-20's near RP, two on Purple Haze swim shads and one on a tomic. Saw plenty of marks but that did not translate to action.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Thank you. In my attempt to find a lite that would make some of those nice fish marks on the screen bite, I managed a couple off a 5" Tomic. Tried some larger ones but they didn't produce

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Classic plug. Next year I will try the smaller sizes, especially early in the season and maybe later if there is no big bait in the water.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice fish, Ricochet. Same place yesterday something crushed my only menhaden-shaped Stretch knock-off (mfg by Mann's) and broke the knot, which I foolishly allowed to be tied by my young son who was "positive" he remembered how to tie the braid knot. My fault for putting him in that position.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Had a lot of hits on a chartreuse stretch Saturday that didn't get hooked. Probably due to smaller size of the 18-19" fish we did catch. Only one we got to the boat from the stretch was hooked in his side. Chartreuse umbrella right near the bottom with 24 oz of weight was our best producer, and had a 9" trailer shad with stinger hook on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts