Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a jaunt down to SB this Sunday afternoon and going to try to scare up some live bait and set out a couple lines for King Mackeral a 1/2 mile or so off the beach...anybody game? Call me...

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm definitely thinking about a Sandbridge jaunt. My thoughts were more towards early AM with chum and eels. The Carolina piers have been doing well on cobia, maybe they're back in town. Sunday or Saturday, both days look good.

Ric
289-5136

·
Registered
211 Posts
If'n y'all don't mind a couple of newbies along for the ride, John Lannon and I talked about joining y'all on this voyage.

However, I don't think either one of us has ever been cobia fishing. In 500 words or less, what are the basics?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HEy...I'm a newbie too...I'll be there around 2 PM until dusk...my only concern is live bait...I want to drift live bait..I may fish for a couple of croakers to pin onto a King Rig (you can pick up KING MACKERAL rigs at BW, BOATUS for about $2.59 - $2.99 each...I will probably drift along the beach a few hundred yads offshore and drag a flounder rig along the bottom to see what happens...I do need to get/make a gaff and I still need a net...wont use a net on a Cobia or King...leader 'em and gaff'em and schmack'em on the brain housing group I what you do I guess...at least thats what I do in a real boat...and then put'em in my lap...LOL...See ya then...We oughtt ameet up at the Little Island Pier at 2 PM and give each other a hand at portaging down to the water...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I asked the same question acouple of days ago ( basics for cobia out of the yak?) and have not gotten any feedback. Everyone must be too busy fishing![wink] The info would be much appreciated.

Fisherman & Chad- are you still going in the morning? That is still the plan for me. The three year old work up throwing up this morning. Hoping not to get grounded!

Tight Lines!

Tom

·
Registered
211 Posts
Man, I tried.

Tourons will be the death of me yet.

"2:00 in Sandbridge" means "Leave Kempsville at 11:30". I got stuck behind an ice cream truck, of all things, and couldn't get around because of opposing traffic. Then traffic was backed up past that monstrosity Clancy & Theys is putting up about 1/2 mile from the pier parking lot. Then a touron backed into me trying to get out of line for parking. Luckily for her, she was cute and blonde. Otherwise Ida gone medival on her butt by that point.

Sandbridge sure has changed.

So, Ima check the weather and the tides and prolly head to Lynnhaven before my head explodes.

Hope y'all had some luck.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I read on another board "a guy in a mango 160 was getting yelled at by a lifeguard for trying to put in at the swim beach".

Sorry I wasn't there to help ya, Travis. I haven't been yelled at good in a long time (wife notwithstanding).

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry I didn't make it out guys, I drove to Savannah, Georgia and back in with little sleep and I was already running on fumes. My wife got deployed to Salt Lake City, Utah (FEMA) and I had the kids and all the stuff the wife usually does dumped in my lap with no notice. Anyway, I am back, rested and single for 30 days so let's go fishing!!!!! Did anyone make it out, if so-how was it?
Jay-Yelled at for what, the beach is "public access", it doesn't specify what the access is for.
Chad

·
Registered
255 Posts
There was three of us out there. Tom caught a few baitfish and trolled with them and up to the time I left the the whiting, and croakers he used were beaten eaten off to the hook so he put a trailing hook on. As for myself, my luck picked up after I put some Gulp tails on my jigs. I did't catch anything, but had lots of hits from what I suspect were small blues. They tore the tail off every Storm I threw in. We trolled in between the s-turn and Sandbridge Pier. It was a great day to be in the water.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah it was a pain in the butt...got there late myself about 2:15 and in line to park...backed up past the condo project for about 15 minutes then in the water about 3PM...was gonna launch by the pier but the life guard had a tizzy...hauled it down to the second LG stand and launched into the surfers...bumpy water...I mean bumpy...alone so I stayed inshore a couple of hundred yards and fished for Blue and Spanish...both busting bait everywhere...never set out the big rod for Kings or Cobes...played in the Blues most of the afternoon fighting the wind...would paddle up towards the pier...Pizzing off the pier rats on the end who thought I was trolling and was gonna snag their lines...I'm not stupid guys...geez stayed 25-50 yards outside your floats...anyway paddled up in front of the pier and drifted back towards the condo...did this a couple of dozen times...caught blues on just about every pass...Huge schools of bait getting hammered...had a pod of about 6-8 dolphins come within 15-20 feet of me...I think they took great joy in sneaking up on my blind side and surfacing/blowing right next to me...I swear I could smell their breath...saw a smallish Bullshark 3-4 feet hammering the bait too, I'm reasonably sure he wasnt alone...all this about 100 yards past the surfers at times...then right before I leave about 200-250 yards out I see this head bobbing on a boogie board as Im making my way back to the pier to set up my last drift...this guy is snoozing and cruising as he put it...drifting northwards prime shark bait...NOT ME...NOT EVER...LOL...as I paddled in the life guards come up adn asked me to go out and ask him if he was alright...I told them of the conversation I had with him and they just kinda shrugged there shoulders...too many beers in him I think...anyway...good day on the water...got my paddle sorted out...feather angle and length...tried out the anchor trolly system front and rear...werked great...anchor didnt hold as well as I would have liked its a 3 lb vs the 1.5, will look at one to the smaller little bitty danforths or another...need a few more accessories before I feel like its right...need a holster of a place for my needle nose pliers, need a paddle keeper installed (got it just need to do it), a wheeled dolly for solo portage, and a fish billy and hand gaff...

--------------------

"Everyone should believe in something...I believe I'll fish...."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi BeachFordMan............As I was walking, I saw where you and the young guy had your kayak laying near the sidewalk to the pier, I had asked him if you were waiting on Jason. He said no.
So I didn't give it a second thought. I guess he didn't know who you were meeting.

I watched you try to launch, when the beach bimbo[excited], started going after you. I was almost in tears laughing, she almost killed herself trying to get out of her chair.

What did she say to you anyways?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WHAT PART OF PUBLIC ACCESS DON'T WE UNDERSTAND? BUT HEY...DID THE BIG BAD DUDE UP THERE PUT YOU UP TO THIS? DID HE TELL YOU TO COME DOWN AND YELL AT ME? WHY DIDNT HE COME DOWN LOL...YER WEARING A RED SKIN TIGHT LIFEGUARD SUIT...NO PROBLEM...I was a little miffed but hey...it was only another hundred yards carrying a 100lb 16' Kayak...3 rods, takle, camelback, PFD, two snickers marathons bars and an anchor ...but hey whos counting? LOL...naw I didnt give her a hard time...she was just doing her job...I got more grief from the pier rats screaming at me for cruising 75 yards past the end of the pier...I think they were scared I was trolling and would foul thier lines...Rrrrrright...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.