Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you know. My want to contact your Delegate or State Senator if you want a say. Don't follow it that close but I do remember signing a petition on Tidal Fish some time ago in favor of sunday hunting.

HOUSE BILL NO. 1639
Offered January 10, 2007
Prefiled November 16, 2006
A BILL to amend and reenact § 29.1-521 of the Code of Virginia, relating to
hunting on Sunday.
----------
Patron-- Marshall, D.W.
----------
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?071+sum+HB1639

·
Registered
421 Posts
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration there are about 1.5 million car accidents with deer each year that result in $1 billion in vehicle damage, about 150 human fatalities, and over 10,000 personal injuries. The actual numbers are probably higher because the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's figures for deer accidents, rely on inconsistent state reporting- there is no standard reporting of deer accidents in the country yet, and a "reportable deer accident" varies significantly between states.

In an insurance claims statistics study conducted in 2004-2005 the top ten states for deer accidents were listed. According to this study, Pennsylvania drivers experience more deer collisions than any other state. The number of accidents increases with the deer migrating and mating season which occurs between the months of October and December.

Worst states for deer collisions based on total number of claims filed with one of the countries largest auto insurers:

1) Pennsylvania
2) Michigan
3) Illinois
4) Ohio
5) Georgia
6) Minnesota
7) Virginia
8) Indiana
9) Texas
10) Wisconsin

Its cut and paste but it gets the point across.

·
Banned
186 Posts
T. Amungus

...I'm with you on that!!! The USFWS gives Maryland "compensatory days".......since Sunday waterfowl hunting is not allowed. What this does is remove Sundays as a legal day to hunt off of Maryland's 60 day season. I have brought it up to many.....and they're all affraid to challenge the USFWS, thinking they may remove the "Compensatory days" and just give us straight 60 Sundays included, which you know would cut our season down by a week. However, the USFWS's allowance for seaducks is a totally different season with more than 100 days to hunt them. Why we can't burn em on Sundays and why people are affraid the 2 will get combined....I do not know. I do know that it is alot of work to get these bills passed, and I'd rather pound sand than go to Annapolis.

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
...I'm with you on that!!! The USFWS gives Maryland "compensatory days".......since Sunday waterfowl hunting is not allowed. What this does is remove Sundays as a legal day to hunt off of Maryland's 60 day season. I have brought it up to many.....and they're all affraid to challenge the USFWS, thinking they may remove the "Compensatory days" and just give us straight 60 Sundays included, which you know would cut our season down by a week. However, the USFWS's allowance for seaducks is a totally different season with more than 100 days to hunt them. Why we can't burn em on Sundays and why people are affraid the 2 will get combined....I do not know. I do know that it is alot of work to get these bills passed, and I'd rather pound sand than go to Annapolis.
Cam2- I have talked to my local delegates in person regarding this but I've gotten no traction, because like you understand, it is difficult. It seems we have no true hunting enthusiasts in Annapolis will to do the DD with DNR and fight to get it done. The research and footwork will need to be done behind the scenes with DNR and USFWS and then be presented in a positive way to the legislature for a vote. I just dont think our reps would put enough effort in to get it done. Maybe a healthy campaign donation ;)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sunday waterfowl hunting should never be passed in MD. The birds need a day of rest.

If as many people that hunted on saturday also hunted on Sunday, the pressure on the birds would nearly double. That's bad news no matter how you look at it.

The sea ducks are the last ones that should be hunted on Sunday. Every swinging richard with a boat and some decoys "hunts" them. Most of the birds go to waste too. Everyone that's tried to eat them knows it takes more than a little effort to make them palatable.

I'd love to see sunday hunting for non migratory species, but not ducks and geese.

-D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am in favor of Sunday hunting because my work schedule only allows me Saturday to hunt. Rarely do I get to hunt during the week unless it is a holiday like Thanksgiving or I have to request time off from work which I try to save to spend time with my family. I am sure that I am not the only one who is in this situation.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am in favor of Sunday hunting because my work schedule only allows me Saturday to hunt. Rarely do I get to hunt during the week unless it is a holiday like Thanksgiving or I have to request time off from work which I try to save to spend time with my family. I am sure that I am not the only one who is in this situation.
I'm in the same boat at least let us hunt deer on every sunday. I can see if they don't let us hunt ducks and geese but why not deer?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah, Sunday hunting destroyed all the birds in the states out west. There are no ducks there at all. I'm a conservationist first, but I also believe in having access to do what I want. I can do anything else on Sunday, but not hunt. I'd rather reduce the limit to 4 birds and have Sundays. For me it's about getting out there and the opportunity to do it.

·
Banned
186 Posts
7bartman...

...I'm betting if you poled all those against Sunday waterfowl hunting, they are people who have no children and can hunt during the week, which means not hunting on Sunday has no effect whatsoever on them, however, they feal compelled to tell the person that can not get off during the week, or the child that has to go to school, he or she can not hunt on Sundays.....and it's bad for the birds.:rolleyes:

You know what's bad for the birds? Limiting access and limiting the oppurtunities for people to hunt them. That limits the hunters and revenue those hunters bring......revenue that goes back into the habitat the birds need. Who is going to buy a license and stamps, or take the time to experience duck hunting and the act of conservation, if they can't hunt.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I know a lot of people involved in "non-consumptive" activities, i.e.: hiking, birdwatching, etc. consider Sunday as a day they can "freely" enjoy the outdoors without worrying about stray gunfire. This is probably why the Sunday hunts we have in Maryland are for private land only, despite the fact that many public hunting areas were funded largely by hunting dollars. And honestly, considering how many people are disconnected from nature, it might be worth the trade-off, at least on public land. Who knows how many future sportsmen picked up the bug while taking a hike on a quiet Sunday afternoon?

On private land however, its harder to justify the arbitrary/religious based restriction. If an individual landowner doesn't have enough sense to "rest" (at least part) of his land more than one day a week, then he will soon see the effects. Or for that matter, why not make Wednesday the day of rest? I know that the crabs I've been steaming seem a whole lot less stressed out since they've been given a day off, they are so grateful that they usually climb right into the steamer!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Choptank, I understand where your coming from, but as you said our hunting dollars paid for those public lands. On top of that I regularly scout on Sundays and have never ran into a birder, hiker or otherwise "nonconsumptive" activity person. Now this might be different in some of the other WMA's in more populated areas (Mont. co etc...). In fact, in the last 15 years of duck hunting I've never even seen a birder out in the marsh and only seen a handful looking from the road, despite the claim that there are a lot more birders than hunters. As I said before there is Sunday hunting in 43 other states and there doesn't seem to be a big problem with wildlife populations, or interference with other outdoor activities. It is time MD and VA caught up!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
7Bartman,

I gotta admit that since I have regular access to about 2,000 acres of private land, giving up Sundays on public land doesn't hurt me much. But given the political realities in Maryland (and I guess Virginia) we'll be lucky to get any additional relief on private property, much less public property.

It's Maryland, I guess I'm just used to paying for more than my fair share...............

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wonder how many of those 43 states that have Sunday hunting also have such a huge population of dog hunters?

You get rid of dog hunting and I'm all for Sunday hunting. On the private land I hunt in Hanover, Sunday is the only day that there aren't packs of hounds running everywhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts