Tidal Fish Forum banner

Would you like to see the ban on Sunday Hunting Lifted?

• Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
As a lifelong hunter who eats, breathes and sleeps hunting Sunday hunting sounds great in theory, HOWEVER, as a large landowner that has constantly had to deal with constant poaching, trespassing, property damage, etc I have to vote NO.. I have a hard enough time trying to police my property when I am able to hunt and adding Sunday to the mix would just make it impossible. If I could even manage to get the game commission or the sheriff's department to do their job that would be fine but I can't even get that assistance with weekday and Saturday hunting so don't even get me started on that.

I find it interesting that the recent poll that was conducted by the Game Commission included few if any landowners.

I think it is hard for non landowners to understand this position, heck, if I did not own land I'd be all for Sunday hunting but I do so I'm not. I think opinions will vary widely on this.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Duck hunting would be ruined if this happened. Mondays are always the best days to hunt where i hunt because it has settled down a little. Id hate to see what hunting on sundays did to both deer and duck populations. Too many greedy people out there who just wack animals to shoot thier guns. When i kill a deer or a mallard first thought is "hell yea lets get some beer and eat!". I frown on anyone who uses all their tags + bonus tags that cant & dont even clean their deer.

im done venting. just my $.02

·
Registered
533 Posts
Tailwalker are you saying because you own land the rest of us should not be able to hunt Sundays?

I own a lot of land and hunt all the time too and guess what, I want to hunt Sundays.
The point is church and state should be separate and no law should be based on religious ceremony like the antiquated hunting blue law. I remember not so long ago when every business in Maryland was closed on Sundays. Make Monday the day off or any day during the week, who cares?

Poaching is going to happen anyway regardless of the law and is not related to allowing hunting on Sundays. Poachers are lawbreakers.

If you need more enforcement I suggest you donate some money or ask your represenative to higher more officers. Ethical hunters enjoying their hobby are not the problem, lack of law enforcement, slack penalties for infractions and education is the real problem.

·
Registered
122 Posts
How about only on private land, as a father of 3 kids in soccer work commitments 8-6 throughout the week, and raven games etc It would be spectacular to be able to hunt on Sunday and not miss any family commitments.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Eastduck,

I am not saying that because I own land others should not be allowed to hunt Sundays, what I am saying is that as a landowner with the problems I noted I don't want Sunday hunting passed. If they want to allow Sunday and then close it on another day, then fine but I'm definately not for 7 days of hunting. As for me giving more money to buy better law enforcement, that's a bunch of bs. I pay enough in license fees every year, huge taxes on my property for what, for other slobs to think they can trespass, poach, destroy property only for me to be told by law enforcement they are stretched too thin and to take the matter into my own hands, swear out warrants and then take my time to go and get these people convicted. Spare me. This is is what our tax money and license money is supposed to go for and I am not nor should I have to risk my personal safety to deal with this sort of ****. If Virginia can not even properly enforce the current game laws 6 days of the week then it should not be changed to allow 7. Case in point, the county I own my farm in has not even had a game warden for the entire hunting season because he quit like many of the others that are tired of their low paying, thankless jobs and all of the bureaucratic bs, but that's not my problem, it is the state of Virginia's and they need to figure out how to fix it. What Sunday hunting boils down to is more money for the state and the game commission because they think it will boost license sales and get more people interested in hunting since license sales have been sliding for the last several years. That's the same reason they passed the legalization of crossbows. But will any of that money be put towards additional law enforcement? Doubtful. They just decided to spend approximately 1.25 million dollars to rebuild the dam at Powhatan lakes which very few people in Virginia actually even fished or hunted. In the past 10 years before the dam broke I bet I never saw a total of 5 people during that time on the many trips I made to the lakes to fish or hunt. Do the math on how many wardens that would employ. That's our license money hard at work. Don't get me wrong I'm all for fixing the damn to keep public fishing/hunting areas open but how does it cost this kind of money to rebuild a dam that is maybe 75 yards long? You can completely excavate and built several large acreage lakes for this sort of money.

Plus, remember, hunters are not the only people that want to use the woods on Sunday, none of which have been polled on the Sunday hunting thing. This issue is much bigger than any church state separation and really at this date and time has nothing to do with it.

My point about the landowner thing is the polls that have been taken have largely ignored the landowner. If Eastduck is a landowner and wants to hunt on Sunday then fine, he votes yes but as I stated, everyone will have a different opinion and we are all not going to agree on this issue for many and varied reasons.

·
Registered
336 Posts
First of all anybody hunting with out permission is a poacher and to poachers laws mean nothing. So whether Sunday hunting is allowed it will probly not have an effect on trespasser on your land. If you own to much land to police yourself, let some responsible hunters join you with the aggreemet to help police your land. Some people have to work on Saturdays as well during the week. The majorityof hunters are not going to be hunting both Saturday and Sunday every weekend.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i like the compromise idea. If you allowed sundays everyone and thier brother would be out shooting up in the air in the marshes. I dont hunt on SAT unless its weather that most would not attempt to hunt. I have been irritated far too much with out-of-towners and even natives hunting too close to my blind or cutting off the flight path over my blind. The ducks wont land in their decoys because they have intentions to fly further to mine but they will be spooked or wont even consider landing for a while because someone tried to pluck one out of the sky with a miracle shot. Point is Mondays and weekdays are the best times to hunt, its piecefull, quiet, more freedom. Thats half the reason i enjoy the outdoors. Hunting on a Sat/Sun would feel like im back in the city but sitting in a box with reeds. And to those who think Saturdays hunting are crowded. Sundays will be just as bad and probably worse. Not many people plan events on Sunday which leaves an open window for a day of hunting. It has been this way for a very long time and never has there been much fuss about it. Hell if it passes may as well try to legalize Marijuana. I think we are doing just fine without both.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Obviously there's no perfect fit for everyone, for every type of hunting or for every species. Here's one reason why it makes sense to treat public and private property different- I know of few landowners/lessees that do not have some kind of "rest" plan for their property. Large or multiple tracts might withstand 7 days a week with no problem, but few will hunt the same field, blind or stand more than once or twice a week. Small tract owners know to only hunt (their place) a few times a week.

In theory all public lands could be similarly micromanaged through blind assignments, lotteries, etc. but given the geographic diversity and costly bureacracy that would be required, it's just not practical statewide. So maybe two days of mandated rest would be a good idea for public lands, for the benefit of all. How about Tuesday and Wednesdays? (Don't take away all those "observed holiday Mondays from us government folk....)

·
Registered
533 Posts
This is a good conversation.

First let me confirm I am a land owner.
Second "If you need more enforcement I suggest you donate some money or ask your representative to higher more officers. Ethical hunters enjoying their hobby are not the problem, lack of law enforcement, slack penalties for infractions and education is the real problem." This is what I said.

If your problem is no officer in your county then contact your representative, congressman, etc. The point is there is a process which needs to be completed to solve your problem. I agree this is the states problem but as citizens of the state we can help and let people know the issue. I bet a lot of folks that you know would like to be a game warden so start recruiting? It is interesting but you have mentioned a bigger problem in Virginia. That problem is that the enforcement system is broken and needs fixing.

The problem would not be exacerbated by Sunday hunting because your problem is not related to ethical hunting and ethical hunters. Your problem is people breaking the law and the lack of law enforcement and ethics. Push your legislative branch to increase trespassing fines and poaching fines for violations this could pay for a new officer.

You said "Plus, remember, hunters are not the only people that want to use the woods on Sunday, none of which have been polled on the Sunday hunting thing. This issue is much bigger than any church state separation and really at this date and time has nothing to do with it. "

This is what I would consider non-issues like, giving wildlife a break or an overused scare tactic like “errant” bullets. There are debatable issues with this topic beyond moral and personal values that can and should be addressed. Again the solution is to have any other day other than Sunday the day off.

What is the real reason for no Sunday hunting?

Most of us have heard nearly every pro and con about hunting and in particular Sunday hunting. There are two reasons in my opinion why those opposed to a Sunday hunt, don’t want to see it happen. One reason is they are against hunting, period. The other reason is because they believe that Sundays are the Lord’s Day, a day of rest, a day with the family or a day to do relaxing things.

There are currently seven states and one exception that for all intent and purposes forbid hunting of any kind on Sunday's. They are Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland (with limited exception) and Virginia. Coincidentally these laws have been on the books since the turn the turn of the century when church goers (religious politicians) and hunters were more prevalent. I think we can agree that it is time to re-examine the issue listen to the opinions.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry, but

it sure is............... it's all or nothing on Sundays. Don't believe for a second that you can hunt one species on Sunday and not another, lawmakers would never pass such a thing.:eek:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
All this talk about giving the ducks a day of rest, guessing you are not hunting in DE where I am, haven’t seen any huntable #s of ducks since early Nov.

Public & private hunting needs to be managed by either the state or private individuals if you want consistent hunting. Hunting 6 days a week in the same blind, pit or tree stand will not translate to consistent hunting for long and adding Sunday will have zero effect imho.

Biggest problem I see in the duck hunting (next to El Niño) is all the corn impoundments that the vast majority of ducks pile into an hour after sunset and feed in all night and then leave a couple hours before sunrise to spend the rest of the day rafted up in the bay or in one of the many refuges around the bay. I have access to one of these impoundments that several thousand ducks visit each night, but it is useless for hunting unless the weather condition are tricking the ducks into thinking 5:30PM is actually 3:30PM..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.