Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Baltimore Sunpapers has a "lovely" article on one, ( of possibly 2000), commercial waterman on our bay. He has it rough because of the limitations being put on him etc. In one day, he and his crew caught 47 bushels of female crabs.......60 crabs per bushel......that's about 2,800 female crabs in one day that won't be back next year to spawn. Multiply that by approx. 2000 commercial guys out there and you figure how many females are vanishing in one day...............how about a week or the whole season ??? Also at $20-$22 per bushel for the females .....that's approx. a gross of $987.00 in a day.........I realize that there are expenses. I personally feel no one on the bay should be allowed to keep female crabs if things are that bad.:nono:

I am starting to believe that all the regulations for crabbing, oystering and even fishing....should be llifted for all commercial and recreational guys & gals. When the populations get so low it won't pay to earn a living and then maybe these bay resources, ( crabs, oysters and fish) will get a chance to come back.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Here's the link to the article.
Harvest pinched -- baltimoresun.com

The figures that you came up with on your own are erroneous, and this thread is intended to incite more anti commercial rhetoric. Your figures are wrong. Number of crabs in a bushel of females is wrong. Anyone who has caught a bushel of females knows that the number of crabs isn't 60. Also, the number of commercial crabbers that have an allocation to catch 47 bushel is very small, like 5 to 8 commercials baywide, not 2000 as you use in your post. Even the article is not factual. It claims that the crabber has an 80 bushel restriction; to the best of my knowledge, the maximum any one crabber can harvest is 50 in October. See for yourself:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/crab/SummaryofCrabChanges08.pdf

Simply an attempt to place another dark cloud on the hard working men and women who ply the waters of our bay, and waters accross the nation to earn a living and provide fresh seafood for public consumption

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I am with you plastic man remove all regulations the crabs will regulate themselves, when the poulation crashes there will be less people out to harvest them. I happen to believe the restrictions that were put in was to help stabilize the population for future years not punish the crabbers.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
The run of females down south is unreal in winter.

I saw the Va dredgers (20 boats) each loaded with the limit 55 bushels.That went on for two weeks-just before Christmas.Even if all the crabs were huge-at least 4 dozen to the bushel.Alot of the females that far south are full of eggs.The new regs are tough but hopefully will result in more crabs :thumbup:.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't understand why your complaining plasticfish. He's following the law. And keep in mind, he was probably catching 100 bushels/day before the new restrictions.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Here's the link to the article.
Harvest pinched -- baltimoresun.com

The figures that you came up with on your own are erroneous, and this thread is intended to incite more anti commercial rhetoric. Your figures are wrong. Number of crabs in a bushel of females is wrong. Anyone who has caught a bushel of females knows that the number of crabs isn't 60. Also, the number of commercial crabbers that have an allocation to catch 47 bushel is very small, like 5 to 8 commercials baywide, not 2000 as you use in your post. Even the article is not factual. It claims that the crabber has an 80 bushel restriction; to the best of my knowledge, the maximum any one crabber can harvest is 50 in October. See for yourself:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/crab/SummaryofCrabChanges08.pdf

Simply an attempt to place another dark cloud on the hard working men and women who ply the waters of our bay, and waters accross the nation to earn a living and provide fresh seafood for public consumption
I would say that you would get at least 60 average females or males per bushel

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I am with you plastic man remove all regulations the crabs will regulate themselves, when the poulation crashes there will be less people out to harvest them. I happen to believe the restrictions that were put in was to help stabilize the population for future years not punish the crabbers.
This makes about as much sense as killing people who have abortions because you think killing is so wrong.

·
Registered
290 Posts
the female crabs this time of year are great .i'm comm but have 0 on my catch card for oct. so i bought a bus. for the fat sweet taste. suport your local waterman.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought 3 bu this year instead of catchin em. $35 for an overstuffed bu maybe 80 or so nice size per bu, seems more females fit in a bu as the claws are smaller and they tend to keep them close. I dont claim to know much about crab biology, but there might be a flaw in the more females = more eggs= more crabs for future generations theory. JMO N1

·
Registered
90 Posts
When is the last day to catch females in VA waters? I thought it was the same as MD as part of the conservation measures.

·
Registered
773 Posts
They must have been really big sooks. we find that most baskets of sooks have around 8 dozen in them. females seem to hit the basket and fold their claws while males spread out
Very nice and only 25 a bushel. I was shocked actually and the other we had that were mixed had 86 in it. These were packed to the gills heavy bushels too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts