Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bud (lurker) wants to send a clear description of LTJ to a good friend in MA who mostly trolls. He is having trouble putting it into words but remembers Superfish posted a great description of it.

Does anyone have a copy of that description? Could you post it?

If not I think Tony Hill and Francis may have done a pretty good job of it also at a later time.

I am sure any help would be appreciated. Many of us could do it but why reinvent the wheel, if the job is already done?

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
The guy lives in Mississippi? Has he ever fished for largemouth bass in an impoundment with stick ups with a plastic worm?

If he knows what a Texas or Carolina rig is he knows what LTJ is, tell him to forget the fancy rigs and buy jig heads...

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
WB,
I used to have a web site with a really good description that took me a while to type out. I never renewed or cancelled the web site but I think it disintegrated into space. If you still need it, I would be more than happy to type it out Sunday, but, until then every second of my days are accounted for.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would not want you to do that Francis for the same reason I am not interested in doing it. Let's wait and see if someone has something. Those of us who have been using LTJ for years find it sort of boring to try to describe it in every detail. It is like asking someone to describe how you drive a car. Possible, but not very exciting for those who have been driving for years.

Frank G said he had a ring binder full of that stuff from the past. Maybe he will respond.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
i would like to see it :) and hey Francis, I'll trade a Tidal Fish shirt for you to type it all out and post it here. You can get it on Sat if you are at Tri State, if not there then I will mail it.

oh, and Bill, I'll take payment for that shirt check or cash :)....kidding...LOL
Brandon

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's it?

Actually many of us have moved to 14 FL or 15 Powerpro without any reductions in the catch. Some of the absolutes are not really absolute. Many guys also bucktailed during the heyday of big trout on the DB and CB in the 70's using very similar tackle and methods. Superfish's recommendations and specifications were only a revelation to those who used big fat white rods and 20 ounce surf reels. They were amazed with the size fish that could be landed on downsized tackle. Not only could they be landed but you could feel the bite much better on the light stuff and catch many more fish.

SF added the tremendous faith in BA's and put it all together in very colorful writing. No one thing was new in itself but I give him credit for describing a total system that works. Plus, he made it fun.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
That's it?

Actually many of us have moved to 14 FL or 15 Powerpro without any reductions in the catch. Some of the absolutes are not really absolute. Many guys also bucktailed during the heyday of big trout on the DB and CB in the 70's using very similar tackle and methods. Superfish's recommendations and specifications were only a revelation to those who used big fat white rods and 20 ounce surf reels. They were amazed with the size fish that could be landed on downsized tackle. Not only could they be landed but you could feel the bite much better on the light stuff and catch many more fish.

SF added the tremendous faith in BA's and put it all together in very colorful writing. No one thing was new in itself but I give him credit for describing a total system that works. Plus, he made it fun.
Hey, Bill? Whatever...I just want to be around when you explain the "Big Rubba" to him...

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am hoping someone comes forth and I do not have to explain anything. To me it is yesterday's news but to someone who has been trolling for years it is quite mysterious.

The way some guys squirrel things away, I cannot believe there is not a WWA archivist out there somewhere.

I do not even save fishing mags beyond a month or two. By time it is in print it is already old stuff.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Bill, I had a couple guys last eyar that I took out that were trollers...and they pretty much said that i was crazy when i showed them the rods we were going to use and some pics of the fish that we were hopefully going to catch....now they are hooked and they have spent quite a few $$$ on LTJ equipment....
BTW...boat situation is straightened out...insurance company totalled it....got my check...ordered my new 23 with T=top and 225......s/b here in a few weeks!.........;)

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sandcastle was kind enough to PM me this. It is a pretty good start.

Suggested Technique For Light Tackle Jigging:

We suggest that you use a graphite spinning or bait-casting rod that is med-heavy. The reel should weigh 10 oz's or less and be loaded with either 10 or 14 pound braided line. Attached to the braid, we use a leader of mono or fluorocarbon that range from 17 pound test up to 30 pound. Attached to the mono, we use a loop knot with a jig head attached.

Jig head weight will depend on the depth of water and the current your fishing.
You want to use the weight that allows you to best feel the bottom without being to heavy. Contact with the bottom and feeling the bottom is critical for jigging and feeling the bite.

Holding your rod tip at the 10 o'clock position and raising it to the 12 o'clock position will lift the bait off the bottom about two feet and allow the bait to drop back down to the bottom. Doing this in a quick jerk makes the bait dart up and then back down. Most times the bait will be hit on the drop or rise as the bait moves. Since your contact with the bottom is important and the slightest bump might be a strike, is why we recommend using braided line. It doesn't have any stretch and your hook set is faster.

On thing that has to be emphasized is to keep the slack out of your line so you can feel the slightest tap. That was more important with trout than stripers but still important.

Anyone have more to add?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts