Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2006/06/19/416937.html

This ruling just saved 100 million acres of wetlands.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did but it also might hurt a lttle too. After discussing this decsion with a few lawyers and reading the different spins the papers put on it well just have to see.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If I read the decision correctly, it may add a little sanity to the wetlands controversy. What I read said that in order to be considered a wetland - the area would have to directly impact an adjacent, navigable waterway. Which would mean, that mud puddle in the middle of your field wouldn't be considered a wetland. (which I believe is the way it should be, if it's a genuine wetland that's okay, but if it's just a low spot, the law shouldn't apply).

·
Registered
707 Posts
there has always had to have been a connection to "waters of the u.s." to be under the ACOE regulations. if they cannot make a connection, it is not a wetland under their jurisdiction.

now that does not mean the couny agencies will not take it as a vernal pool or hydrologically disconnected wetland. that is a whole other animal.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are correct CB has it right even though it is not a federal issue it will still could be a county issue. What I read is that the fed's don't want to get involved they want the states to handle it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
What I read, said they used to consider any drainage ditch a wetland, because sooner or later it led to a stream, river, etc. which was navigable. The new wording shortens the distance to-adjacent to, and having a direct impact on, a navigable waterway. It's all open to interpretation, that's why they're lawyers, and why they word it that way - keeps them all in business and allows them to find loopholes for their friends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts