Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to Elkridge, Md last year. I'm about 20 minutes south west of Baltimore & I'm looking for a surf fishing area within 1 hour from my home where I could catch some decent fish. I've been to Sandy Point & did not find any action on a few trips. OC & Delaware beachs are at least 2.5 hours away so that's a little far for a day trip. Does anyone know of a beach to fish from in this area? I'm not looking for the exact locations just point me in the right direction & I'll do the rest. Thanks in advance for any information.

B4SUNUP

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think people sometimes fish from Smallwood State Park as well as Sandy Point. There is also an area directly across from the Harbor Hospital just off Hanover Street in Baltimore that runs close to the channel. I've seen people fishing there, and I have caught rockfish within casting distance (but from the boat).

Good Luck,
Mike

·
Registered
999 Posts
You may want to check out North Point State Park.

Map of North Point State Park

North Point State Park

Go out on the concrete pier/jetty wall thing. The north/east side has deeper water.

Also may want to check out Belle Grove Ponds for LM Bass, Pickerel, Crappie, Carp, Catfish and Stripers certain times of the year. You can park next to the American Legion at 5622 Belle Grove Road, Baltimore, MD.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I moved here from New England a few years ago, I don't want to damper your spirits but in my limited experience the surf fishing in the bay is somewhat limited, it's worth the trip to the ocean or buy a boat. Good thing about the bay is you don't need much of a boat to get around.

If you're stuck on shore you might want to check out the Kent Narrows and fish under the bridge. The current rips through there and you'll loose your rig as soon as it hit's bottom.... A little further from home, there's a nice beach with access at Drum Point at the mouth of the Patuxent river. It's a good place for Flounder right off the beach and there's spot and croaker within casting distance, not sure about rock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks For The Assist

Thanks to everyone for the help. When I decided to move to Maryland I never thought it would be over a 2 hour ride to an ocean. Coming from Long Island and only having a 20 minute ride to a beach this is a rude awakening for me. I promised that if & when I ever move again I'll insure that there is an ocean beach within 30-40 minute ride. I'm not exactly sure where the Kent Island bridge is located but I have been to Kent Island. Sandy Point did look good to me but I did not find any fish over 1/2 pound. I have read that a walk down to the rock jetty near the bridge holds a few Striped Bass. I have gone over the bridge several times last season but I never saw anyone fishing from the rocks. Several years ago I had some business in Bel Air & found great fishing from the Conaswingo Damn. I made a couple of trips last year to the damn & saw a bunch of fisherman trying near the damn but I did not see any fish caught. When I was there in the past we used large shiners & caught a bunch of Stripers yet no one I saw fishing was using bait. Does anyone have any input on this area? It's about 45 minutes from my home so it's a lot better than going to OC or Delaware to the ocean. Thanks again for the input & I will certainly take a trip to the locations everyone has mentioned.

b4sunup

·
Registered
373 Posts
The spot just below the Conowingo dam has fish. Lots. But, its difficult to fish because of the current and water fluctuations. Right now there are Hickory Shad in the river. Later the bigger White Shad will show, but in lessor numbers. After that Stripers, Walleyes and some Smallmouth will be present. Also, folks fish at the spot where of Deer Creek comes into the Susquehanna.

Also let me ditto the spot below the Kent Narrows bridge. Again its difficult because of the current, but there are fish here. Stripers and White Perch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts