Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM GOING TO BE IN RODATHE NC(HATTERAS) MAY 13-20TH. I HAVE ONLY FISHED FROM BOATS AND NEED HELP CHOOSING A GOOD ALL AROUND SURF ROD THAT IS MODERATLY PRICED. ANY TIPS AND TECHNIQES ARE ALSO WELCOME. THANKS

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
That's a darn good time of the year for fishing around there.

Waht kind of fishing are you planning on doing? You don't need much of an outfit just to"fish" but you'll need some hefty equiptmetn if you want to chase some of the "big" fish that frequent the area that time of the year.

As far as a setup, what do you consider moderate? You can get a pretty decent "heavy" setup for $200 or you can go all out and blow in excess of $600 if you want.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DRUM OR COBIA WOULD BE NICE IF THEY ARE AROUND BUT SMALLER FISH WOULD BE OKAY TO. MY PLAN WAS TO HAVE SOMETHING THAT I COULD THROUGH OUT A GOOD DISTANCE AND LEAVE IT ALONE WHILE
I TAKE ONE OF MY OTHER RODS AND CAST ARTIFICALS IN THE TROUGH. I NEED SOMETHING TO OCCUPY MY TIME WHILE ON THE BEACH WITH THE FAMILY. I WILL ALSO HAVE MY SKIFF TO FISH INSHORE A DAY OR TWO AROUND BUT I HAVE PLENTY OF RODS FOR THE BOAT. THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm planning on getting one of these for this summer at Assateague.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=53015&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=WISHLIST&hvarAID=wishlist

I don't know if it's good or not, but I like the price. I don't know much about surf fishing, but I tried it briefly last summer. Aparently a good meathod is a texas rig with a heafty pyramid sinker and a chunk of squid or shrimp on a circle hook. I'm definately no expert at this, but this is what I'm going to try out this summer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you are going to be in Rodanthe, just go into Hatteras Jacks. He has everything from Beginners outfits to custom made rods n reels. Not only that but you can even get advice on where to fish and what to use for bait.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Local shop is good advice, Ryan or Jim at Hj's will look out for you. Theres a shop every three feet on the bank's.Look some before you buy.You can spend $200.00 bucks and have a very usable rig.If you are a freshwater fisherman take your heavier gear.....always something in the wash.
Wes

·
Registered
1 Posts
Everyone has thier favorite but take a look at the 12' HA series by Tica and a Shimano 6500B bait-runner. For about $200 you'll cover most fishing conditions encountered.
A little soap and water after each use and It'll last for many years. No mater what you get, if you don't at least give it a rinse before puttin it away, you'll be replacing it in short order.
As was said, the guys at Hatteras Jacks can set you up with everything you need. Hopefully you won't catch the surf fishing bug to bad cause one outfit is never enough!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Funny I was looking at gander mountain today at that very rig. Penns bait runner is unengaged manually while the shimano is unengaged when you start reeling

·
Registered
22 Posts
The tica rods are good for the money and the 12' heavy will throw 8 and bait a good distance. If you do get the Tice go buy some five minute epoxy and glue in all the guide rings beacuse they will pop out. You might want to check out the Penn surf rods they look like a pretty good deal also.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You never said what type of reel you want to use. If you prefer a spinning reel from the surf then I'm sure one of the outfits that was stated would work. But if you want conventional is not out of the question I would look into the bassproshops brand capepoint rod. Its the same as the one posted earlier but no cork grip and the guides are smaller. For a reel a saeline x-30 or slosh-20 would be really nice. Load that up with 20# quality mono, and add some shock and your ready to through 8 and bait. If you want to go a little cheaper the ticas are nice but it doesn't have enough guides to reduce the friction during a cast. The diawa emblem rods are also great and around the same price as a tica but with better guides (fuji). The shortest you would want to go in length is 10' but guys will be throwing as long as 14'. Other great reels to give you options are abu 7000, and 7500 without the level wind. A a **penn squidder** (the best reel for the price and just as good as the others just slower in gear ratio.) A penn 535. also a good reel cheaper than the 525 but a good casting reel none the less. Holds more line too. If you have any questions on prices of any of this tackle just Bm me and I will be glad to help you.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Go to Hatteras Jack.
They'll set you with exactly what you need.
Top notch bunch to say the least.
Not the types to try to just sell you something.
If I were you I would just wait until you get down there and visit HJ.
http://www.hatterasjack.com/

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
If ypour gonna buy a Tica make sure you buy one ofthe newer ones they have the fuji guides a reel seats. Some of the older Ticas were made with a different brand of guides a reel seats. The guides rings and seats would break so be ware.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll be there the same week except in Hatteras Village, it will be a little early for Cobia and too late for the Reds (wheather permitting). In the past 4 years that I've been going there that week lots of nice Kingfish"Whiting" and huge Cow Nose Rays.
I get more use out of my 9 footer then anything for the Kingsfish and casting to Mac's and Blue's.

Find some DEEP holes and your in business

1 - 14 of 14 Posts