Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday morning on outgoing decided to try a few casts around the Windmill Point Light before starting to troll for Spanish. Threw a 3/8 oz jig with red/white twister tail around the rocks. Pulled a 16-17" striper out to the boat, but he wouldn't take. At head of rocks thought had hung bottom, then felt it was a good fish. It rolled near the surface and could see a big fish, thought it was a good striper or trout. Then it took off, way faster than a striper. Was using light spinning with 10# test, and it ran off about 30 yards then stopped. I started pumping line in, and then it jumped. Big cobia! Couldn't believe it. It took another run then POP! Line broke near the jig, and first foot was pretty roughed up. Had me shaking and laughing. Went on to troll up 5 nice Spanish on #1 and 0 Clark's spoons over next two hours, and on way in (dead high tide) bounced a squid strip near R7 and had a nice flounder play with it, but never really take it. Wound up getting impatient and taking it away from him - he took a 3" wide slice out of it where you could see the whole outline of his mouth and each tooth. A fun day, and boy those Spanish are good on the grill!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jelkin - Spaniards were 15 - 17 inches. Two on surface line with 4 oz. trolling weight and #1 silver Clarke's, and three on planer running about 10-15' with #0 silver/chartruese. Were scattered along south side of bar from light to about 1 mile east, hanging on break in 26-32'.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I guess I will show my age. I remember back in the late 60's or early 70's there was a good cobia fishery in the Deltaville area. Most would use live ells or cast to floating bouys. The cobia would gather around the bouys or rock piles. So It doesn't suprise me that you caught a cobia there. Good job. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Went out yesterday (Saturday) and did almost the exact same thing you did, however we only caught 1 blue and we couldn't bring it home. Tried, tried and tried, but there was just no luck!

·
Registered
264 Posts
WoW!
If cobia are that far up the bay?
Can hardly wait for striper season.
The cob's are thick this year

Might be worth anchoring up on the point and chumming
use the meat poles :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Grilled Fillets are the best.

This year I plan to try them on the 1/2 shell by leaving on the skin and taking out the center bone line and ribs.

They are thin skinned and hard to fillet like I like to with no skin.

Schoolie Rockfish done on the 1/2 shell is great and lot faster to clean! Saves meat too.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just fillet mine, leave the skin on and grill them. The scales are so tiny you don't even know they're there. Baste with lemon butter. You can bake them too, sprinkle with blackened fish seasoning and put them on a greased pan. I need to quit my job and go fishing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts