Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Don't think to many fish out there this time of year.Striper season is out and never have caught that many cats around there.
Last year 3 people drowned there fishing out of a 23 ft boat after a sudden change of weather came in with high winds.It was sad!
Don't know what kind of boat you have but with a smaller boat you could try Lawnes Creek east of the nuke station. There is a ramp on the creek and it is some what shelterd .I have caught perch ,stripers and catfish and croakers in there on windy days in the fall.
Never tried it this time of year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, that is really sad. I guess I will have to really watch the weather and the wind and pick a good day to go out. Yeah, I was planning on launching at lawnes creek and thanks for letting me know that there's fish in there. Did you catch white or yellow perch? They should be active this time of year I would think. I might fish that part of the river soon for catfish though, depending on the weather, I had heard that there was some catfishing at the ghost fleet and the nuc plant so I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know how I do if I end up going out, I'm thinking there would be some fish around the warm water after this cold weather. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hello,
i fished down by the nuc plant in the summer, the water temp was about 79 degrees but when you cross the river coming out of the plant it went up anywhere from 10 to 15 degrees. the botton in that area is flat and mostly sand. I did catch some cats just small ones maybe a pound or two! i did catch some crokers there also but nothing to brag about! I have heard that that is a good spot to go in the winter for trout.. never tried it though. good luck,
mcal

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to launch at lawnes creek ramp yesterday (Sunday, 2-12). Beautiful day on the river, the water was glassy all day and the sun was shining. Headed around Hog Island to the power plant outlet, where there were allready a couple of boats anchored up. I was stuck using fresh frozen menhaden that my friend's dad had given me, and so I wasn't feeling too confident. Ended up landing four blue cats, two going about 26 inches and the other two going about 20 inches. I had multible missed bites as well. The other boats also seemed to be catching fish, lots of smaller ones. Overall I had a great day, hadn't caught any fish in '07 so it was a nice surprise to finally get some pullage. Strange thing, the water around the outlet didn't feel any warmer to me than the rest of the river, but who knows as all I was doing was sticking my hand overboard, not too accurate. I also saw multiple bald eagles on the trip there which was a plus. Didn't try the Ghost Fleet, I was having too much fun at the power plant. I plan to return soon, as soon as I can find a reliable means of getting fresh gizzard shad to use as cut bait. Help?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
p.s. I know that those fish weren't big compared to the fish caught by the catfish masters on this board, but it was my first time ever targeting and catching blue catfish, so I was happy. Oh yeah, as I was getting ready to leave the boat ramp area on Hog Island an animal ran across the parking lot, it appeared to be a bobcat, is that possible? If so, that's a first for me as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts