Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have any suggestions for cleaning mustang survival gear without sacrificing water resistance. It says to hand wash but was wandering what type of detergent to use. Previously i've just used fresh water rinse but its starting to get pretty stained.

Thanks

· Registered
1,192 Posts
I hang mine on the fence on the back yard, wet it down a tad. Then spray it down good with Simple Green. I let it soak for ten minutes or so, then hose it off. Works great!

· Registered
2,715 Posts
I have used my mustang suit 40-50 times this last year and probably cleaned
it every other time with a mild detergent. Last month I treated it with a 3M water
proofing spray and it repels water better than ever.
Brian , i can tell by your pics that you are a neat freak like i am:thumbup: but after everyother trip i get a kick out of that:clapping2: your suit looks brandnew.:))

· Registered
73 Posts
Being that survival suits is part in what I do for the NAVY, I can tell you how we test them for leaks, how we treat them, and how to store them. When we test them we pull them inside out, and fill them with water bleach mixture. We obviiously have all the tools and the benches to do this so its a little easier for us to do this. But we clamp one of the wrists and the neck seals with special clamps, put a hose in the other wrist and proceed to fill them up with water mixture on our special water test table. We fill them enough to apply pressure to the suit as if we were massageing it to see if water starts to bead through it. if we find leaks, we patch them, if the leak is within a certain diameter it is no longer returned to service and we down them for being porus. In the end once we decide it is good to go, we drain the water solution out of it and fold it right side out and let it air dry on a wooden hanger. Once dry it is actually folded a certain way then stowed in bag that keeps it out of the elements when not in use. This keeps moisture, mold, dust, or anything else that will deterioate the material off of it. If that is followed the suit can last almost forever. We have gone to the point of only makeing them servicable for 12 years from the date of manufacture, because statistically that is our earlist time of failure if all criteria is met. OBW we do the water test once a year, so doing it more than that may decrease the life of the suit.

Bobby

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.