Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We fished our way down from OC MD Wed night through Thursday arriving at the 800 line east of OI NC around 1 pm. Passed Mike A in the Norfolk on the way down and congrats on their bigeye earlier that evening. Not a sniff as we trolled down to the 800 then we got some skippies and a 50 lb yellowfin at the 800 just on the south side of the break. Continued south to the 740 where we found bait, whales, and birds working. At the 730 we got a single bigeye around 150 lb then headed in to get ready for the next 2 days of charters back at Pirates Cove.

Friday we went back to the 730 area and worked it up to the 800, getting some more skippies and a single 50 lb yellowfin. We had a blue marlin try to eat our stick poly ball several times very aggressively...couldn't get it in his mouth. I swear I need to put a hook bait behind that thing. Last year I had several 300+ lb makos eat them.

Saturday we started out at the 630 and got a single 40 lb yft out of the gate, no mas, so we trolled north a couple miles behind Frenzy. Bait and whales still around the 730-740 but no love other than skippies so we keep heading north. Frenzy finds a change line up on the 800 and finds several floats holding mahi as he works up the line. When he's done with his mahi he calls me up there to a float still holding mahi as I was on the 760 and within sight. Get up there and get 11 mahi off that float then troll some more until we find our own couple float pieces, eventually getting 55 peanut mahi by 230 pm as we work up the change line.

Redeploy the tuna spread and head back south towards the 800 structure planning to troll til around 345 or 4 pm then head in to Pirates Cove. Get to the 800 line around 330 pm to find a couple bigger whales working and get some marks. Make one circle and wham, bigeye on the short rigger. Pull the hook after a couple minutes, circle back around, and wham, a single 50 lb yellowfin on the stick and a bigeye on the long rigger. Broke off the bigeye after 5 minutes but get the yellowfin. Circle back around and wham, a single yellowfin on stick bait #4, keep jigging it to try to get more on the other stick baits and wham, a large bigeye crushes stick bait #3 in an explosion of whitewater. Burning drag on the electric 130 with about 50 lb of drag then it stops - the bigeye broke the longline clip and got away but we got the yellowfin. Circle back and wham again, bigeye on the stick and this time it's smaller and we get it in the boat - about 130 lber. Circle back and wham again, a large bigeye on the long rigger. About 45 minutes and 3 anglers later on the Shimano Talica 50II stand-up outfit, we deck about a 250 lb bigeye and run back in at 32 knots high fives all around. Back at the dock 1 hour 15 minutes after we decked the last eye. Left them snapping and could have probably decked 5 or more bigeyes had we stayed til dark but we were out of ice to cover the fish and had plenty of meat anyway. Great day that reminds you why we are afflicted with offshore fishing, especially big tunas.

it looks like we'll be sitting out a long NE 15-20 knot blow this week with lots of boat work to do. Today we cleaned teak and other boat items. Tomorrow we continue the work list.

Booked Friday if weather is OK but might need 2 more for that trip at $350 each. Open the rest of the weekend at $350 each also for day trips, $450 for overnighters down here, so come on down.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Craig.

For those of you considering or needing custom rod work, Craig at Back River Rods in the VA Beach area took over for my needs after Jesse Buky of J&B Rods died a few years ago. Jesse was a great rod builder and friend with an equally great sense of humor. Craig is all that and he fishes, installs boat controls, etc. Mutli-talented guy who works out of his house and goes the extra mile to take care of me between my travels north and south. Whether it's repairs, experiments, modifications, or just refinishing aging rods, Craig can take care of your rod and other fishing/boating needs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts