Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen any post on fishing the flats, and the season has opened! I guess the snow and sub-freezing temps are not helping much.

Does anyone have a report or info to share. I plan to head up there the weekend of march 17/18 to do a bit of scouting/fishing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
flats

cold water,
muddy conditions ,
i`m guessing another 2 weeks, then maybe we`ll have a realistic chance of finding fish..

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If DNR would only update the Eyes on the Chesapeake Bay link so we can see what the current water temps are, determining days to begin fishing would be much easier.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
--3 days ago-mud, debris, waves, wind & cold water.
--report from yesterday-see above, add ice & super low tides. (If my boat was in it's slip, she would be on hard bottom.)
--report from today- add snow & more wind

·
Registered
387 Posts
The Flats have frozen over today and the water temp has dropped about 7 degrees into last 2 days. The water temp was over the 40 degree mark for most of the weekend but is now down in the low 30's again.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i looked in my log book and i started catching a fair amount of fish on april 3rd last year.the state should have opening day on april 1st.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
hedjug, it was a great day for medal detecting though.

Bay Prowler, The opening date used to be April 1. Everyone, including us, wanted it to start on on March 1. There is no reason for it not to be open on March 1 as the water is very cold and the mortality rate is almost non-existant.

Mike has caught many Stripers by March 15th, but it has been a few years since he has.

You can start on April 1, if you want to.[wink]

Ele

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ele, I went out with Mike last year on March 24th or 25th and we had a ball. about 30 stripers in four hours...I'm trying to get a day off work so I can book him again

·
Registered
628 Posts
If DNR would only update the Eyes on the Chesapeake Bay link so we can see what the current water temps are, determining days to begin fishing would be much easier.
Yea, real-time online data would be nice but guess its asking a lot short of buying a property to stick a thermometer in the water and hooking up a web cam.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts