Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the invite to fish with Francis and Capt. Andrew today up the Susker. It didn't take long before a real nice looking perch limit was aboard. After perching, we decided to take a gamble and go carp jiggin'. The guys were not believers at first, however, they ended up catching lots of big fish and Francis got his personal best, citation LTJ carp today dancedance :clapping2: Actually, I think we all had our personal best on light tackle today! Double and tripple hookups all over the place!

Afterwards, Capt. Walleye Pete put on a great fishing presentation at Nicks Fish House. Andy won the free trip and he gets to bring some friends along:thumbup: Nice seeing everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
Carp jigging.....that's awesome. Only time I ever catch a carp jigging is when I'm SM fishing and I snag one with a grub. I bet those bad boys gave you a good fight. WTG

·
Registered
397 Posts
Spynet,

Where in the Susky do you jig for carp and what's the method, type of jigs. As a kid from the banks that's how I fished for carp, light tackle, a few I never got a chance to see the just spooled me.

Glenn

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
WTG on jigging up those fat carp. Pete's seminar was great, lots of great pointers for the flats and the other NSSS.
It was great seeing and meeting all of you last night. Can't wait to see you all again out on the water.

I bet Andy will use his door-prize free trip with Pete up on the Susky for the new and improved "Gold Rush"...

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Thanks for showing me around today Dave. I'll bring the boat, you bring the information (and everythigne else) any time! Pretty cool to be able to get a charter captain his personal best. Even if it was on a carp. . .

The ghetto slam! Carp, shad, and yellow perch, Woo AH!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If I'm going up the Susky for a carp'n trip I'm going with the master himself, Mr Light Tackle Carper. Except now that Dave has let the carp out of the bag about the other world class susky fishery the crowds are gonna be rolling in. Going to be over before it ever started. Commercial guys will be rolling in with the nets :rolleyes:

Good seeing everybody last night and nice meeting you Phil.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I've gotta know more about carp jigging. I often find myself targetting carp and it is not always easy.

So you are getting them on a jig from what I understand. Are you snagging them? If not, do you feel the hit just like you would any fish while jigging like on the drop? What size jigs are you using? That one dave is holding looks to be pushing over 20 pounds. Do they still fight well in cold water? How deep? I can only imagine using perch outfits and hooking a 20 pound carp 30 feet down, you might have your hands full.

Good stuff. Thanks.

Oh.. you can get your citations for carp. A catch and release citation too. You just need a signature of a whitness. Although every other time I've done it for the Diamond jim tournament and used a catch and release fish, I never had a signature. I just emailed everything to the DNR with a pdf of the application and a picture. I got my citation and entered into the tournament. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Looks like fun! Good seeing you all at Nick's Fish House last night. And Congrats on winning the trip Andy.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So you are getting them on a jig from what I understand. Are you snagging them? If not, do you feel the hit just like you would any fish while jigging like on the drop? What size jigs are you using? That one dave is holding looks to be pushing over 20 pounds. Do they still fight well in cold water? How deep? I can only imagine using perch outfits and hooking a 20 pound carp 30 feet down, you might have your hands full.
Jon, they are without a doubt striking at the jigs. Andrew got one with his rod in the holder yesterday. My guess is its a reaction strike. We had two fish in the upper sucker (lip) and 80-90% of these fish are caught in the jaw. They are so thick its inevitable you will snag a few by the tail. Francis' fish went 36 inches and change. Mine was about the same length but THICK. The pics don't do them justice.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Yeah, it was getting dark, cold, and we were catching so we didn't want to take the time to pose and take pictures. These fish are very cool.

We are definitly getting reactoin strikes from pissing them off jiggin in their crib. Since all I did was priovide the boat, I aint saying nothing!

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I know a kind of deep hole on the upper potomac that stacks up with carp in the winter. But it's like 10 feet deep, not 30 plus but 10 feet is very deep for that area. The carp there are enormous, many pushing the 20 pound mark. These fish are downstream of a warm water discharge but like over a mile from one and the temp difference isn't all that noticeable but it is there. They were there last year and again this year. But I can't get them to play. I think it's the cold. Tried bait, tried jigs. Crank baits and nada. I've done well catching them on a fly rod but that is in mid summer, sight fishing, damsel fly nymph, shallow muddy bottom. If you can't see the fish take the fly, then you'll miss the take. They suck it in and spit it out so quick it's stupid. Then I've also done well with just corn on the bottom. A good way to lose a fishing rod as I'm often using light spinning rods with no clicker. I think the lighter line helps. My cousin in England would never dream of using anything over 8 pound for carp. Over There they are the prized sport fish like stripers back home. Sometimes light line makes a difference. Who knows.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts