Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 Grady White Overnighter with a Yamaha 175 iutboard, and there has been a strong gas smell in the boat recently. I removed the floor panel, and there are no obvious leaks from the hoses or any of the fittings, but the tank is totally empty. I had put gas in the boat the last time I went out.

I suppect a leak in the tank. It is made of 5052 aluminum. Does anyone know how to pressure test a fuel tank?

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
You need to be able to plug the tank fittings for a pressure test. Plugging the hose ends won't help find the source. Assuming the hoses aren't damaged, the leak is likely at contact point between the tank and mounts. Pin holes usually form from corrosion. I had 1/8" x 4" think bands welded to my fuel tank where the strap holds it to the hull. I had mine repaired and pressure tested at Rosedale Welders.

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
I had the fuel sender gasket go bad on my small tank.E-10 ate it up.Might want to check yours.A fuel tank that is 17 years old might not be worth repairing if it is leaking.

E-10 will also eat the older hoses.The new ones are made to resist it.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My 100 gal. tank started to leak 3 yrs. ago. It's a 1988 and cost $5,000 to have repaired back then. Good luck, Bob

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Tank test

Can you vacuum test? Its more sensitive to show leaks and you won't be taking a chance on blowing a weak spot out or pushing fuel into the innerbottoms/bilge. Use a pro tank tester to be safe.
Good luck on this. The solution is expensive.
budc

·
Registered
385 Posts
Once you cap all fittings. 2.5 to 3 lbs of pressure is all that is necessary to determine a tank problem. Keep the pressure applied for an hour or so. This will show the smallest of leaks.

In the short term you want to be mindful of all sparks you may create in the closed bilge area of the boat. Any appliance or battery operated tool use is a no-no in the boat.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Had the same problem 2 years ago. Had the tank under pressure for 2 hours before, what I guess was a small piece of crud dislodged and the pinhole broke loose. Had been smelling gas on and off for a few trips. Ended up being 2 very small pinholes near the top of the tank. I would only get the smell when the tank was full. The pinholes were from years (boat is a 1987) of the tank vibrating against one of the stringers.

2 options. 1.Had to cut the floor totally out and replace tank. 2. Remove the I/O engine and cut the tank out in small pieces with a sawzall and replace with a tank that would slide into the engine compartment hole.

Went with #2. I went from a 62 gallon to a 40. Decreases my range, but was a lot cheaper. Still cost me a grand.

Hope you get yours reasonably done.

Jim

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I replaced my tank from my 1987 Overnighter -

There are two places to order them from that built them originally for Grady - both in Florida - Florida marine Tanks and RDS -

Grady Customer service can direct you with contact info - mine was a 65 gallon tank - and there was no cutting necessary to replace the tank -

I also replaced all hoses as they probably needed to be upgraded to the new material that handles the e-10 -

all in all about 1000 was spent on the project -

1 - 9 of 9 Posts