Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one ever tried fishing for blue cats with floats? How about drifting? Most of the guys I know including my self bottom fish. Next time I go out I'm thinking about trying it. Any tips I can get on rigging would be appreciated.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ive been thinking about that myself. Ive been thinking of doing a slip bobber with the bait suppended at different depths on different rods. Heck what do I know?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Don't do it! It won't work![wink]

Do Not:
Keep a big float out the back with a medium sized piece of cutbait. Even worse is a live small shad.

Do Not:
Drift with a rod in each holder suspended at a different depth. Even worse during slack tide.

Do Not:
Use a three way swivel rig while catfishing to keep a bait up off the bottom. Worse yet with a strip of shad fillet.

Just don't do it. Nobody like to catch that many fish. Say NO!

Dayton

·
Registered
28 Posts
BH,
I have'nt tried it on the Blues yet, but it works VERY well on flatheads. I'd say I catch to two to one on float rigs versus bottom rigs.

Set-up: Large slip float, lead, swivel, 12-18" leader, hook. 3 way rigs always seem to tangle when casting.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I do know this . If you can catch cats on a float without a sinker the fight is totally different. Man do they run . You don't seem to get that catfish jerk ,jerk pull .They take off like a bass or rock .

I think that the sinker behind the fish throws it off balance as it swims . I've caught channel cats up to 5 lbs. and really seen the difference. Don't know if it would make a difference on bigger more powerful fish. Tony

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I have tried the drifting at slack tide as mentioned in the do not's that were so helpfully posted by Ranger690 with some moderate sucess. I will make sure I don't try any of those other methods. Once again thank you all.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Dayton's a good drift fisherman cuz he can't figure out how to work an anchor [grin]

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hey, if StriperJoe would tie better knots or just not let me on board, we wouldn't have lost those anchors!!!!!!

I have forgotten the back anchor and take off. A twenty pound river anchor only comes out of the water once. When it dives back, something is going to give. Trust me. If I had been using a real rope, I would have lost a side rail.

Dayton

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Been there, done that. You shoulda been on my boat the day my drift sock flew out the back and popped open in the water like a funny car parachute. That gets your attention.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
drifting

Has any one ever tried fishing for blue cats with floats? How about drifting? Most of the guys I know including my self bottom fish. Next time I go out I'm thinking about trying it. Any tips I can get on rigging would be appreciated.
I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good. I saw a program by Bill Dance the other day where he was drifting in a river current. He used a bank sinker attached to a 6" leader off a 3-way swivel. His bait was on a 16" leader on the other eye of the 3-way. I'm gonna try it next time to the James. He was only using 4oz. sinkers on the James I think you would have to go much higher.

mini moe

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have recently discovered that I'm too lazy to drift fish. I would rather throw the anchor and take a nap.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Dayton has been invited on the Catfish Cadillac but not matter how hot it gets inside I will NOT allow him to strip. Talk about a big cat floatin' upside down. I'm sorry doo doo, don't be mad.
Again DO NOT drift unless you want to lose all your bottom rigs, fall asleep and drift back in the channel when a barge is coming or go from 30 to 3 feet in 2 seconds and get stuck in the mud.
Anchor, take a nap, and wait for that magic sound.......................your partner snoring ! ! !

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
A slip bobber doesn't work in current if you dead stick it..The bait will slip back up to the float.Use a spinning rod with the slip float,open the bail and let the the float drift where the natural current takes it in an anchored boat for as far as you dare.You''ll hook more fish with braided line on long drifts with the float because of less stretch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Drift fishing does take a lot of work but it will work out for you if you drift where you know there are fish. Use the same rig as if you were anchor fishing (slip sinker rig) only use 6 to 8 oz to keep it straight up and down and use your trolling motor to keep you where you want to be at. Watch your depthfinder and adjust your poles as you drift so that you don't hang on the bottom. At first you just open the spool let it go to the bottom and reel up about 2 full cranks (with a 18" to 24" leader). The rest you already have from Ranger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts