Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished with my buddy Jim yesterday. We launched at 6:30 Port Deposit and headed out to the flats. On our way south we saw a guy land a nice striper on bait south of the rail road bridge. We didn’t get anything but we did get to spend some time talking and relaxing in the great outdoors. Naturally we would both have rather have gotten into the fish. Water clarity varied: 18 inches off of APG, 30 inches middle of the flats, a little more than 30” off TP and about 24 in the Susquehanna. Temps were fairly consistent between 46.5 and 47 degrees. There was a lot of dead shad and small debris off the Condos in Port Deposit.

Jerkbait-PA

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Thanks for the report:thumbup: I was looking at heading up there yesterday and was watching the flow. Looks like things were good in the morning, but once those gates opened I was guessing the visibility was going to go down and conditions rapidly deteriorate fishing with lures/flies. From talking with some guys it sounds like that is what happened. I did hear from a 40lb+ being caught on bait on the flats and a few guys in the morning hooking up with decent fish in the morning on lures.

With this rain and more water coming down from New York and Pennsylvania I think it's going to be a few days before conditions are good for lures and flies. I am staying optimistic that we can have some good flats fishing this year on lures/flies.

Thanks again for the report:fishing2:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have fished the flats with a famous light tackle guy several times. He always said when the water temps get above 50 the fish turn on. He would spend quite a bit of time looking for warmer currents and when we found them, we caught fish. We exclusively fly fished the flats. We generally booked with him middle to end of April. I have not been up there the last few years, however we are attempting to come up with the kayaks in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was out yesterday testing out my new boat and didn't catch anything but I didn't expect to, just spending some time on the water having fun. btw, I bought a Fin Craft made by Larsen, 19 foot and I am very impressed. Thae boys at anchor boats did a great job setting me up. Looking forward to warmer water temps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was out yesterday with a friend tried the flats in the morning but didn't have any action, ran up into the river and landed 11 nice fish on custom made plugs. The biggest was 35lbs, smallest was 14lbs, and the others where in the 20lb class.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good job Greg. Were you trolling?

I agree it’s a little cold yet. We need a little warm weather. The water clarity was much better than I thought so I was happy to see that. The water clarity should get better unless we get major rain in the upper Susquehanna Valley. It seems to me that when the water hits the 50s the fishing improves but that’s because the smaller fish will arrive. But until they arrive it seems to always be very hit or miss with me.

I think if you take some bait out you should be able to catch some fish. Not me though. C&R fishing for stripers with bait it too much like carp fishing. I’d rather be on the hunt even though I do believe my odds are reduced.

Jerkbait-PA

·
Registered
112 Posts
I cringe, and am sure the rest of core group of anglers that fish every night cringe everytime we come on here and see a report for this area
all you wind up doing is hurt your own fishing when you get joker's from every state that come out cause they read reports, and do not have a clue what they are doing.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
There are ways to give fishing reports so that you let the locals and other good fishermen know where things are happening, yet it doesn't become the topic of discussion at the local barber shop or the next sports fish advisory meeting. Subtlety, like stealthy fishing, is a dying art.

(Wait, did I just say this same thing about another place on a different thread? There must be an echo in here.)

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Jerkbait hit the nail on the head. Once the water temps go above 50 degrees you can start finding some fish. I absolutely used to love fishing the flats. The first few years it was opened I fished literally about every fishable day and the fishing was outstanding. Even though the flats were crowded with boats, everyone usually caught fish. I can remember having over 30 boats on the eastern side in 7-8ft off water, all casting lures and all catching fish. The last two years I think I fished one day because it just got so poor to fish lures and flies. This year I have renewed hope that the fishing will pick up and it will show signs of years past. However, with this rain it's not starting off too good. Tonight I heard about ten gates opened and the water coming out was dirty. I suspect it will be a few days to clear. For the bait guys I think the bite will continue, some pretty nice fish being caught. Hopefully by mid week next week it will be ready for some lures and flies.:yes:

·
Registered
561 Posts
I cringe, and am sure the rest of core group of anglers that fish every night cringe everytime we come on here and see a report for this area
all you wind up doing is hurt your own fishing when you get joker's from every state that come out cause they read reports, and do not have a clue what they are doing.
I agree. but most folks on this board are the fishing elite they tend to have better boats,gear,electronics and techniques.This group here can find fish without direction from others.I think more harm is done when the bait dunker word gets out that any regular guy can buy herring and catch a cow up to 70lbs.Its been game on up there for a week now.The area has been choked up with boats from DE and of course the Royal Dutch Navy has arrived with their huge landing nets.In my opinion it was a bad call to move the C&R line that far north,every time I see the guy that fought for that I give him the bird.See ya in line at the ramp.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Next time you go to the ramp or run into other anglers (strangers)
say somewhere in the conversation, "Are you on tidalfish?"
Watch their face for the instant reaction for the truth.
Most I have asked have responded, "Huh?"
"The internet, do you follow (or are a member) any fishing website forums?"
Most of them I have asked do not follow or even look at any websites let alone be an active posting member.

I believe because some are such diehard website users/followers, they think (almost) everyone else is also.
Maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

How I believe the "Fleet" forms is the uninformed angler, launch their boat, leave the ramp, see where the majority of boats are and that is where they stop. Half of them are there because the other half are there. It's that simple. If they are not going to catch fish, they feel better not catching them in a crowd where few if any are caught then off wandering around without a purpose or plan in mind.

I do not mean to offend anyone, sometimes I ask myself, "What the hell am I doing."

For those that have their boat ready to go all the time, are on the water pre-fishing, doing the homework, eliminating water, knowing that things can change in a week, day or even a few hours and are knowledgeable enough to change with the changing conditions will be the ones most likely to have success. But you already knew that.

There are those that have very little free time to get out but love fishing just as much as the guy that is always on the water. They need to minimize their "search time" as much as possible so, reading the web and going with the crowd may be the smartest thing to do.......until they can figure out what their second decision may be for what is happening that particular day.

How many times have you had others in your boat and some caught the majority of fish while other barley caught anything? There can be multiple reasons for that so just because others are in "Your spot" doesn't always mean they will be catching "Your fish".

Being loud and running their boat over a school of active fish, that's a different story altogether.doh:nono:

Be quiet and respectful and maybe all of us can catch fish together and have a good time.....like the old days.

See you out there.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OMG. So now the Susquehanna River is a spot? The whole river is a spot. Well I need more help than that because there were guys all over the Susquehanna from the upper legal limit all the way down to Havre De Grace. Many were bait fishing, some were casting and others trolling.

And isn’t this what Tidal Fish is all about? Fishermen helping fishermen? That’s why I joined, that’s why I post and that’s why I read this web page. If it’s so troubling for you to see a simple fishing report DON’T LOOK!!!!

Rest assured I will continue to post. And if you see my post it will include what I believe is more important than YOUR SPOT, water clarity and temperatures.

And for us from out of state. GOD BLESS THE UNION!

BTW JFeidler, I bet you have fished out of state a time or two.

See you at the ramp,
Jerkbait-PA

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Sounds like the entire Bay is now a spot to be burned. How many square miles are in the Flats C&R area? Hell, how many square miles are just in the river from the Amtrak bridge to the demarcation line at Port Deposit? I propose that any area less than 50 square miles should be considered a "spot", and all talk of that area be self censored. God knows we don't want out of state fishermen coming down here, spending their money, supporting local businesses, etc. That would be catastrophic to the local economies, no?
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I don't have anything against anyone in this thread and probably like all you guys, but do you really think it's cool to see someone fishing who doesn't post a report and probably would prefer to keep his location to himself, then get on the internet and tell everyone *exactly* where he was, even though you didn't even catch anything? I don't think Jerbait really did that (south of the railroad bridge could be Smith Island I guess), but I think that's what sets some people off because it's happened in other threads.

I personally don't have a problem with someone mentioning a general area. In fact, I appreciate it. But when you talk about a very specific location, i.e. a SPOT, you just killed it for everyone.

I keep saying this, but it all comes down to respect. We all read TF to find out where and how the fish are biting. It's a great site, the best fishing discussion forum I've ever seen. One thing that makes it great is that there are thousands of fishermen here. Brandon has done a fantastic job of growing it from a small local mailing list to a preeminent media source. I just think it's possible to post reports, pictures, funny stories, all the good stuff we like and still maintain the respect of your fellow anglers. All that's missing is a little discretion. Is that too much to ask?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts