Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to take my 14' aluminum v bottom 9.9hp camping at the Susq State park this weekend. Looks like the best place to put in, avoiding hidden dangers, is in Havre De Grace. How are the waters around the entrance of the river and the flats them selves. Mostly doing cat fishing and sight seeing. I have used the boat exclusively in the Patux and around Ft. Smallwood. I know the limitations of the boat for weather and steep boat wake, but unsure about any potential issues around Havre De Grace. I have looked at charts and it seems the biggest issue is rocks and depth on the flats. I just dont want to be a slave to the charts/GPS and worry too much. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Usually not too bad, but the flats are just that-very shallow so use the charts and stay near the channels. Find a point or structure with some tidal flow and you should be able to find catfish readily willing to bite. There should be some around the barge anchorage off of Perry Point also. Boat wakes could be a problem around the main channels but should not pose a danger unless you are unfortunate enough to have some idiot run by you too close at WOT. It has happened to me before. You can launch at the state park ramp at Lapidum. Just go out past mid river toward the Port Deposit/Cecil County side before you go down river. Also, it gets rocky very quickly upstream of the state park ramp.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will give it a try. I will not be going further north than the park. I have kayaked around up there, but am not willing to motor.

I am used to the WOT issue and taking water over the transom. SUX!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Try the east side edge of the sandbar at the southern tip of Garritt Island, just north of the RR bridge. Anchor up in about 8' of water. Sand bottom, no snags, and definitely no boats blowin right by ya. We've caught lots of cats there using night crawlers, cheap frozen shrimp and chunks of raw hot dogs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts