Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ladies and Gentleman,

I have several questions I need answered and I hope you can help. This spring I would like to try fishing the Flats during the early catch and release season but I have never been there.
1.) I need to know if a 17ft tri-hull with a 85 hp prop will be able to navigate the area without beating up my prop? How far can I travel up the river towards the Conowingo? How far can I travel north towards the town of NorthEast?

2.) Where is there a good launch to go out of, one that is clean with a good clear channel out to the Flats?

3.) How successful have you been pitching jigs to stripers in the area? Also are there any specific markers or structure that I should know about or avoid because of potential dangers?

Thank you all for any replys that you post. Every post will be helpful. A short story of my self, I have been boating for 15 years, I have been fishing out of the lower bay for 5 years and take my personal safety and the safety of my equipment very seriously. I also have two other boats, a 17 express jet boat and a 25ft ChrisCraft Cruiser, if either of these boats would be better for the Flats please say so.

Respectfully,
Kevin

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Hello Ladies and Gentleman,

I have several questions I need answered and I hope you can help. This spring I would like to try fishing the Flats during the early catch and release season but I have never been there.
1.) I need to know if a 17ft tri-hull with a 85 hp prop will be able to navigate the area without beating up my prop? How far can I travel up the river towards the Conowingo? How far can I travel north towards the town of NorthEast?

2.) Where is there a good launch to go out of, one that is clean with a good clear channel out to the Flats?

3.) How successful have you been pitching jigs to stripers in the area? Also are there any specific markers or structure that I should know about or avoid because of potential dangers?

Thank you all for any replys that you post. Every post will be helpful. A short story of my self, I have been boating for 15 years, I have been fishing out of the lower bay for 5 years and take my personal safety and the safety of my equipment very seriously. I also have two other boats, a 17 express jet boat and a 25ft ChrisCraft Cruiser, if either of these boats would be better for the Flats please say so.

Respectfully,
Kevin
1. You can safely go to Lapidum/Port Deposit. That is also the typical C&R limit line. You can go all the wat to NE town park. The boat is fine on the right days... the bottom on the flats is sandy. The biggest threat to your prop is stumps & debris. Read your charts & take your time. Up river, above the Port Deposit, there are many boulders & rocks...

2. Best ramp is in Havre De Grace by the rt 40 bridge. Direct access to the north end of the flats & south end of the river. The park on Turkey Point (elk river side) provides easy access to the south side of the flats. Perryville & North East have ramps as well. You can get anywhere on the flats from any of these ramps.

3. Search this forum for LTGing (lite tackle jigging) on the flats & topwater on the flats... plenty of info avail.

4. Keep the jet boat at home, they are tooooo noisy. I would run the 17'er till you learn the area, then use the inboard. I fish a 18' bow rider & a 26 John Allmand inboard on the flats. 90% of the time, the 18'er is fine. The 26'er can get to about 75% of my fishing holes, but when the shallow topwater bite is on, it's the 18.

The flats can get snotty when the NW winds kick up(and they do kick up often). 2'+ hard chop can make any day in a 17-18'er ugly... pick your day or fish in area's with some lee.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Welcome!

That boat will be fine, you can run up the susky all the way to port deposit. You can't fish for stripers past there. There is a channel that runs down the western and eastern sides of the flats. You can go all the way to northeast on the eastern side. The middle of the flats is the shallow part. You'll be fine, get some bass assassins and some tony spoons. People also anchor. fish with bait-usually fresh herring. Get a good chart before you go.

Stop in at Herb's Bait shop in North East, they are a wealth of knowledge. They carry fresh herring when they're running. Ele posts on here all the time. Mike from there runs charters and if you have the chance and funds, you could go out with him once and I'm sure you would learn a ton.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I fished the flat last year for the first time and had some decent success. I launch out of Elk Neck State Park. Nice big ramp. Short ride around the point and I found fish.

I used an 18' Center Console and never had a problem. I was pretty aprehensive too - but things worked out fine.

Like HEDJUG said - the wind can really whip that place up. I make the pull down there and turned around a couple of times.

If you launch out of the park you will pass through North East. Stop at Herb's Tackle and talk to Ele or Mike - they have a good supply of tackle (bait if you need it) and lot's of knowledge to share.

See you there in the spring!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Your launch point probably depends more on where you are coming from, as in avoiding the toll on I-95 or Rt 40. $10.00 with a boat trailer! Havre DeGrace and Susquehanna State park on the western shore. Charlestown, Anchor Boats or Elk Neck State Park on the Eastern shore.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Capt.mike84 your question got me to thinking. There is only so much area at the flats. There is going to be lots of boats at the flats. This could be like well putting 100 lbs of you know what in a 50 lbs bag. I never fished there in the spring,but fished there in the late summer/fall. You can fish the yak there just fine.after all its only knee deep in the middle.its 60 feet off just 30 feet of the ramp i used last time. Just remember when fishing above the line ''i'm not fishing for stripers sir'' and the one i like to use ''is that powdered sugar on your nose, or were you destroying evidence''.eather one of those lines should make your fishing trip memerable.:yes:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Elk neck ramp might not be avaliable this year, I believe they are putting in a break wall. The ramps will not be avaliable when they are.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Keep tabs on the bass tournaments out of Tydings and Charlestown, the rooster-tailing glitter boats will turn off and scatter the fish (rockfish that is ;-)).

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Elk neck ramp might not be avaliable this year, I believe they are putting in a break wall. The ramps will not be avaliable when they are.
That sucks! Guess a call to dnr when the season is upon us is in order. Ele, let us know if you hear anything on this.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Your launch point probably depends more on where you are coming from, as in avoiding the toll on I-95 or Rt 40. $10.00 with a boat trailer! Havre DeGrace and Susquehanna State park on the western shore. Charlestown, Anchor Boats or Elk Neck State Park on the Eastern shore.
They are trying to raise the toll. It will cost you 16.00 dollars, as if it's not bad enough, suck some more blood out of us.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
TONS of guys fish the flats in kayaks. I prefer to go on weekdays as the boat traffic is way down. I've even gone out with a "yak armada" a few times that had 20+ people fishing out of kayaks.

The very first rockfish I caught in MD was from a kayak on the flats, and I'll always remember it. The water was crystal clear (look at my foot in the water) that year and I was trolling a crippled LY spoon from an oversized wallmart special spinnign rod (the white one in the pic) that came with a shakespeare reel pre-spooled with mono. I pedaled over a sunken tree in about 3-4 feet of water and could see the fish hunkered down on the tree just like a largemouth. About 15 seconds later, I'm confident the fish I just ran over and made eye-contact with nailed my spoon:

Anyway, get a gps with a good chart if you don't, and you'll be fine running around the flats. I stay out of the channels in the yak, because as mentioned there are some boats (and they're usually very glittery) that love to WHIP around the perimeter of the flats. At low tide, I have run aground just south of perryville park, which drafts about 3-4 inches. So go slow when you're not in deep water. Those green areas on your GPS should be appraoched very cautiously :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
TONS of guys fish the flats in kayaks. I prefer to go on weekdays as the boat traffic is way down. I've even gone out with a "yak armada" a few times that had 20+ people fishing out of kayaks.

The very first rockfish I caught in MD was from a kayak on the flats, and I'll always remember it. The water was crystal clear (look at my foot in the water) that year and I was trolling a crippled LY spoon from an oversized wallmart special spinnign rod (the white one in the pic) that came with a shakespeare reel pre-spooled with mono. I pedaled over a sunken tree in about 3-4 feet of water and could see the fish hunkered down on the tree just like a largemouth. About 15 seconds later, I'm confident the fish I just ran over and made eye-contact with nailed my spoon:

Anyway, get a gps with a good chart if you don't, and you'll be fine running around the flats. I stay out of the channels in the yak, because as mentioned there are some boats (and they're usually very glittery) that love to WHIP around the perimeter of the flats. At low tide, I have run aground just south of perryville park, which drafts about 3-4 inches. So go slow when you're not in deep water. Those green areas on your GPS should be appraoched very cautiously :)
Nice Rock!...nothing seems to beats a Hobie Yak with mirage drive for shallow water trolling...you really can't troll shallows in stealth mode any other way...boat motors or paddles smacking the water, all decrease your chances for trophy fish.... never caught specks in big size and number with any consistency till I started fishing in stealth mode

1 - 18 of 18 Posts