Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many years of dabbling with turkeys, I'm trying to make a serious effort this spring. If anyone can hook me up with a gobbler hunt this spring, I will treat you right on a sika deer hunt this fall/winter. We have over 1000 acres of privately owned Dorchester swamp, with a lodge.

(And in case you're wondering, we are very thick with sika, but very scarce with turkeys on this particular property.)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Aren't Sikas the deer with really tiny antlers? How do they taste? Is there a hunting season? If they can be hunted in The late winter/early spring, I might buy a trip if offered.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sika are actually a small member of the elk family from Japan, "released" many years ago, they have established wild populations in a few lower shore counties. They tend to be more nocturnal than whitetail and in my opinion the seem a little smarter/warier. Six points is generally considered a trophy, with 8 pts pretty much the max I've ever heard of.

They whistle, bugle, wallow and generally act like any other elk. And, in my opinion, they are better tasting than whitetail. Their season pretty much runs with Maryland's regular deer season. My club is just a private club, not a commercial venture, but there are several commercial outfits in the area you can find with Google. Probably run you $150 or so a day.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Choptank, We are loaded with turkeys in the spring. I have 70 acres in Linkwood we can defiantely talk. You have a 1000 acres and no turkeys where are you?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Choptank , If You Want To Go To Wva. I've Got Friends With More Land Than You Can Cover In A Day. We Have Never Turkey Hunted It, We Normally Deer Hunt It. I'm Sure We Can Go And Turkey Hunt It In The Spring. There's Always Turkeys Around.
Call Me If You're Interested
443 386 0976 Cell
410 306 6434 Home After 5:00 Pm

·
Registered
533 Posts
You'll kill a turkey

I don't care too much about a sika for myself but if you could hook my friend up that would be cool.

I have access to 150 acres of great Turkey land in North Hampton County, VA and about 500 acres in Ringold, VA.

I also own a place on Elliot's Island for duck and sika hunting.

Plus it would cool to hook up with you and duck hunt sometime next year.

b-mail me for my contact info.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Choptank, We are loaded with turkeys in the spring. I have 70 acres in Linkwood we can defiantely talk. You have a 1000 acres and no turkeys where are you?
Our turkeys are transient, here today and gone for the next month- we are on the south side of Blackwater Refuge, and mostly very wet. There's not a whole lot of natural food sources for them, and not much agriculture nearby. We've got sika by the boatload, but no whitetail. Go figure......

"Loaded with turkeys" in Linkwood sounds good!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Choptank , If You Want To Go To Wva. I've Got Friends With More Land Than You Can Cover In A Day. We Have Never Turkey Hunted It, We Normally Deer Hunt It. I'm Sure We Can Go And Turkey Hunt It In The Spring. There's Always Turkeys Around.
Call Me If You're Interested
443 386 0976 Cell
410 306 6434 Home After 5:00 Pm
Isabelle, I spent some time in "West, by God, Virginia". Where are your friends?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Tank, our 70 acres 49 of woods is all mature hardwood and pine. We have a very good flock of birds. I saw fewer than normal this year during deer btu i asm sure they will be back. When it gets closer to season we can hook up and I can show you around the farm I will be shed hunting this weekend and taking down portables. I will check the sign out. It is basically just family that goes but always willing to trade a hunt. I hunt silkas in the usual areas Elliott and alot of the Chesapeake forest areas. Good bow hunting but deer are scattered after that. We killed 4 birds betwen my dad nephew and I 21,25, 23 and a 26. They are huge because we feed the deer from august on only stop feeding for turkey season. The turkeys destroy our corn piles...

·
Registered
6 Posts
How far are you from the Northern Neck of VA (Northumberland and Lancaster counties). I can guarantee a shot at a turkey, I have access to over 20,000 acres of prime turkey land.

Give me a call at 757-879-4351

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How far are you from the Northern Neck of VA (Northumberland and Lancaster counties). I can guarantee a shot at a turkey, I have access to over 20,000 acres of prime turkey land.

Give me a call at 757-879-4351
Looks like three and half hours by land, maybe two hours by water. I'll give you a call.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Unbelievable. So many people with so many options. I moved to Richmond from Philly in 2000, and I don't have any of these ancestral land holdings, private club memberships or buddies with farms. I have to pay big money to hunt at an outfitters or dodge bullets on public land. Sucks to be a carpetbagger.

Jeb Stuart VII (NOT)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Choptank, I'm from a small dried-up coal mining town the Fairmont / Morgantown area. My friends live in Clarksburg, but the farm is out route 50. Really out in the middle of no where..lol... We normally stay in clarksburg or bridgeport and drive out to the farm everyday when were hunting.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Isabelle-

I used to guide whitewater trips down in Nicholas and Fayette Counties, so I came through Clarksburg a lot. Never ventured too far off 79 up in that area, though. You could hear the turkeys gobbling up and down the river sometimes, and I always wanted to do a Cast and Blast for gobblers and smallmouth. Do you know if your friends' place is in a bear hunting zone?

ChopCrab

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update-

Looks like I have about a half-dozen very good prospects for swaps. I'll get to check out some different territory this spring, and I get to show off my club and turn some people on to sika deer this fall! Win/win situation for me.

I'm not exactly going to "close" the offer, but logistically I want to make sure I can properly accomodate everyone that's in the works first. So unless you're real close to Dorchester County and real flexible, any new contacts might need to wait until next year. Thanks for the all the interest, and I'll post the results.

ChopCrab

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mostly because I just learned how to post decent pictures, I thought I'd post a few from my club.......

A view from the sky- not much dry ground for turkeys

a little sika deer on a trail

The meat pole with my 6 pt buck- the whitetail is from another club and the 4 pt is someone else's.

There's a deer in the middle of the picture.

·
Registered
105 Posts
choptankcrabber, that's a heck of a nice stag! I actually did a cast and blast trip down the New River quite a few years ago. SHOULD have been a great trip. Rains were real heavy, river looked like chocolate milk and it kept raining through the week. We caught like 3 smallies, and heard about that many gobbles. Beautiful country though, and had the weather not kicked our butts it would have been a great trip. The New River is kind of steep country though. I felt like a billy goat running those hills.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Isabelle-

I used to guide whitewater trips down in Nicholas and Fayette Counties, so I came through Clarksburg a lot. Never ventured too far off 79 up in that area, though. You could hear the turkeys gobbling up and down the river sometimes, and I always wanted to do a Cast and Blast for gobblers and smallmouth. Do you know if your friends' place is in a bear hunting zone?

ChopCrab
No not near any bear areas. Just turkeys, a once a year sighting of a bobcat, there are some coyotes around btu we generally don't see them. and the palce is loaded with whitetail. Its over in Ritchie county and my parents still live in Marion county

1 - 20 of 36 Posts