Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and the Boy (Jake) finally were able to sneak out of school and work for our first of the season bow hunts and we were only able to squeeze in an afternoon.

When we go, hunting the same stand location is a must, the anticipation of how the boy's doing is too great for me and I worry the whole time we're apart.

Our hunts usually include my video camera but its in storage during our move into our new home. I'm trying, I really am about letting the boy hunt on his own but at age 30 I just don't think he's ready..............

Just kidding He's 12 and he's ready, I'm just not. He's going to be in trouble when he starts wanting to take out girls, hopefully Dad will have gotten help by then and hopefully he will be 30 by then.

Well after a short trip and 10 million "What Ifs" we arrive at our little paradise.

After setting up our stands our quest begins. It doesn't take long before we see a lone doe working toward us. She seemed a little "jittery"...which was unusual for this time of the year and this being the first time in the woods since last year...Anyway she working over to us and Jake looks at me for the OK nod.

He sets up for the shot...a 20-yard broadside shot, I give the "Baaa" and she stops in her tracks for the perfect shot.

One arrow away and......and....., well away goes the deer a perfect, I said absolutely perfect.......miss, just under her, but perfect none the less, never touched her.

She ran about 40 yards and up goes the nose and the tail, guess she showed us.

Well after about 10 minutes, Jake can't stand the miss conformation and begs to get his arrow to check for any sign. He gets out and I watch as he carefully grabs his arrow and I saw his shoulders drop and slouch a perfect miss, but he's too young to realize the good in a clean miss. An entire year waiting and dreaming of arrowing a deer.... and now a miss. The disappointment is all over his face, the wish of that shot all over again, if so a better aim, no flinch, a deeper breath....etc... All the signs and thoughts were clear on his face. Will we even see another deer???.... Been there, done it, but experience is the best teacher.

A word of confidence, reassurance....Hey buddy, the season is young and there is plenty of daylight for us, that's hunting, not killing, remember what you did and let's do better on the next shot, that was our practice for the year. I get the understand nod, half smile and we both settle back into our stands.

1/2 hour later we see the stir of life again, but wait this one has something on top his head, a decent 8, then a couple of does arrive for the party, the woods start coming alive. Give a look at Jake and.. Its not cold, why is he shaking the broad head is quivering back and fourth, man I love hunting, but seeing your son get excited like that............priceless!!! We watch them as they work away from us and while our attention is directed to the antlers Mrs. Doe has made a second appearance, she is still a little jittery but works her way hesitantly approximately 15 yards broadside then........Whack, a perfect shot, pass through, double lung, no mistake about it.....perfect.

Here come the high 5's but wait... her comes 2 more headed right to us, two does.

Jake is sitting down, bow across his lap and the deer are now just about under us, just to the right of him. He's right handed so I tell him to stand to get position for the shot. The deer hear movement so they become alert and he can't move, if he does they're sure to dime him out. What seems like hours pass and the deer settle down. I give him a look; his eyes look like chicken eggs bulging from his face and a terrible case of the shakes. One look at him with both deer standing directly under us on alert I can't hold back the Giggles, I can barely hold it back, and I let out a chuckle, but thankfully they don't hear me. I had to look away so that I could regain my composure, then whack, another perfect shot. I thought Jake was going to explode with excitement.

What a day, Sweet Redemption

·
Registered
855 Posts
You can't be any happier than watching your kids get thier first one(s). I bet dad has problems putting on his shirt because his chest is bulging too much. Great job Dad teaching him right. keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to taking my grandson on his first hunt this year. He's only six but wants to go with Papa. I'll let him tag along to start the learning process.[grin]

·
Registered
46 Posts
awesome jay . trying to get my 13 yr old daughter interested. just got home from the farm, sikas are in full rut and i am usually hunting alone. it was good meeting you last year. shoot me a bmail if you want to come down.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Awesome story and a very valuable lesson learned for "misses" in the future. Like you said redemption. It's hard enough to kill one in an afternoon,let alone 2.

I have twins that will be 7 in december and I can't wait until I can get them started.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.