Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with JasonNorris before heading out today and was excited after hearing his great report out of Solomons. (Thanks, Jason!). I headed out at 12:15 with fellow TF'er Mark (Baldzilla). The game plan was to work the HI lighthouse area and head South, but that area was a parking lot, so we dropped our 11 lines in the water about 2 miles West of the lighthouse. We marked lots of bait between 40' and 60', which was a great sign. After about 20 minutes, we had a good knockdown, with no hookup. Then 20 minutes later, the deep rod (big umbrella w/28oz) starts bouncing. Fish on! After a brief fight, we boated our first fish of the day--a fat 38 incher.

We then had a bunch of knockdowns (7 total) off the board rods, but they just wouldn't stick. Any thoughts on this? Too slow? Too fast? Not far back enough?

At about 3:30, the same deep rod starts bouncing and we knew we had a nice fish on. Mark worked it to the side of the boat and I fumbled around trying to get it in the net, but it wouldn't fit :bigfish:, so I grabbed the lure head and hurled it over the side. It was a fat 44 incher.

Overall, it was a great day of fishing. The weather was nice (a nice bonus in a CC in November), the bay was flat, and the fish were big!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Martin,
Thanks for another great day on the bay! Those photos do not do those fish justice, when you can barely lift it over the side of the boat, it is a fat fish! Had a blast, thanks again for everything! Wish we could have boated those other bites also!
Mark

·
Registered
412 Posts
Those are some great looking fish.
I thought I read in another post (probably one of Skip's) that you slow down just a little and that should improve you hookups.

Ken

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
:censored::censored::censored::pinch:Nice Fish guys!!!:pinch::censored::censored::censored:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
i don't know what looks better, the seas or the fish. Never mind it's the fish! Good job/great fish, weather was a bonus.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Nice looking fish there fellas...those are some heavy "jiggin' rods though........:D

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Martin, thanks for the report. Couple nice fish for the effort.:bigfish:

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Nice report guys. Try using Eagle Claw SS 9/0 stingers. Small diamater and xtra sharp. I know! Got one in my thumb a couple weeks back:D......

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Nice fish guys. As far as the knockdowns, you don't say how large your baits are or if your using stinger hooks.
Grady23, we were using 9 inch shads with stingers. It was strange, we would get a good pop off the scotty clip and when the line would come tight behind us there was no fish. We kicked it up a little and still had a few misses...it was real strange

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
IMHO - sell the scotty clips and use #64 rubberbands.Try this at home- hook a scotty clip to a railing and put about 10 feet of line in it- then pull it hard.The clip will let the line go with little resistance.

Now try the same thing with a #64 rubberband looped through the line twice.It will take alot to snap it :yes:.Using rubberbands should help with missed fish.The Rock can grab the lure and close it's mouth-then it all comes tight and the hook is driven in.Then the rubberband will be broken when the fish turns and runs :thumbup:.Rock - especially the bigger ones can suck in a lure- then spit it out without getting hooked.The inside of their mouth is hard - one reason alot are hooked in the lip/jaw area.

Your deep rod did not allow any drop back so you hooked up those fish.

Great job getting out- what an awesome day for November :clapping2:.

·
Registered
839 Posts
For the scottys, you can try to put the line further in the jaws and/or adjust it to be in the tighter setting. To put in the tighter setting pull the back piece hard and it will click making the clips twice as tight. (you probably already know this trick, but try the harder setting) Also make sure you have your drag tight enough. I was on a charter that used clips and all their drags were very tight. They said this really causes the fish to be hooked. When the drag is looser you can miss some fish -with what skip said. The only bummer is some smaller fish may not break the rubberband and not pull the line out of the clip. But, I would rather miss a smaller fish than a bigger one. I am going this weekend and I will make sure my clips are nice and tight.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts