Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa brought me a Shimano Curado E7 201 baitcaster. This is a redesign of the Curado and is now a green color. It is a whopping 2 ounces lighter, has better sealed bearings and a lower profile. I am not going to elaborate all its features (too many), but this is a really sweet reel. It is the only baitcaster that I never backlash no matter how unorthodox the cast. If you have been reluctant to use a baitcaster, this one will be soothing. My hand can completely cover the reel. It is the most comfortable baitcaster I have ever used. Give it a look.

If you are going to be consistently catching 30 to 40 pound ocean stripers in deep water, you may want to go bigger but this little reel will handle the occasional brute and absolutely annihilate those CBBT footballs. I loaded mine with 14# PP.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:D:D:D:D:D:D

I have it on a St Croix Avid 6' 6" med heavy.

These are not cheap reels but if you use one of Cabelas 30$ cupons and have a gift card from Xmas and couple it with some Cabelas Credit card points, it gets manageable.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
180 bucks isn't horrible. I'm guessing thats what my Stradics cost... Maybe I'll take a ride tommorow...

Hey Burgess, please post what time your going to Bass Pro, so I can avoid ya.....;-)

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Bill,I'm going to check that one out , sounds like a nice reel.

However Ive never been able to find a bait caster I couldn't bird nest up in short order.:censored:

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tom-

I had a $30 off with a $150 purchase valid from Dec 26, 2008 to Jan 5 2009. Still have it but is has been used. It was for store, catalog or internet.

I am not sure what Cabelas uses to determine what they send you. I suppose those with Cabelas Credit Cards get some different coupons. It may also depend on what you spend. Just not sure.

I often buy price protected items with Cabelas coupons and credit card points.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bill , you can have them llamas !:yes::eek::D
Looks as the guys were having a ball or maybe two.

You guys just do not get it. The llamas allow me to fish whenever I want to. I highly recommend llamas for anyone who has difficulty with those permission slips. I must be home Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter for family dinners. Every other day is wide open. I do not have to ask. I just tell my loving wife when and where I am going. Llamas are truly wonderful.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So you married a llama ?:confused::eek2::D
Not really. I have a wonderful wife but she enjoys caring for llamas like I enjoy fishing. I do not understand it fully but it works. The hobbies cost about the same.

She gets up at 4:30 AM each day to tend to the llamas. I sometimes get up a 2, 3, or 4 AM to go fishing. It works for me.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
That is a sweet looking reel Bill and I just might have the rod for it to go on. :thumbup: I'll give you a call after 6 this evening

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Several years ago all the serious bass fisherman on the Potomac River loved those reels. A few years ago, about the same time they redisgned the stradics without the wooden handles, they redesigned the Curado as well. All the bass fisherman that I knew hated it. I guess they redesigned it again and made it good again.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Sweet. I'd love to see that in action paired with a < 4 oz rod. Like fishing with air! Please keep us posted on how it works out, I've always been a fan of Shimano products. My most recent purchase is a Revo STX HS which is the 7:1 retrieve model. So far I'm enjoying the faster line take-up, especially in high current situations. It might be an ounce or so heavier than your reel though.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Sweet Bill I have a bunch of Cabela's gift cards saved up. This is exactly what I'm looking for since I can't cast my Calcttua's for salt. I love them for vertical jigging but casting them has always led to bird nests before the day is out. How far can you cast it with the 14# PP and a 1/2 oz head?

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sweet Bill I have a bunch of Cabela's gift cards saved up. This is exactly what I'm looking for since I can't cast my Calcttua's for salt. I love them for vertical jigging but casting them has always led to bird nests before the day is out. How far can you cast it with the 14# PP and a 1/2 oz head?
I really do not know Hank but far enough.;-) Most fishing from a boat does not require extremely long casts.

I am sure you know how to set up the reel but for those who may not, there are only two things to do to make them backlash free. With the lure on the rod hold it up high with a small amount of line from the tip to the lure and let the lure free fall. Tighten the spool end cap until there is little or no overrun of the spool when the lure hits the ground. Next open the sliding door on the other end of the reel that exposes the six centrifugal brake pads. Push all six out and make a soft cast. There should be no overrun at all. Now cast progressively harder. If you still have no hint of overrun, push two opposing brakes in to make them not move out on the cast. You should now have four brakes active.

The reel should be near right. You can add distance by backing off the end bearing cap a little a thumbing the reel as the lure hits the water. You can gain more distance by pushing in more of the six centrifugal brake pads and keeping your thumb right above the spool in case the reel starts to fluff line. If you cast into hard wind, you may have to pull more brake pads out. I you move to a different weight, you may have to add or remove a little tension on the end cap.

For practical fishing I normally set my Curados so I do not have to thumb them at all. It takes pain in the a$$ factor out of using a baitcaster.

BTW, I set up my Calcutta TE 401's the same way and cast them all day. They are not quite as sweet as the Curado's because the spool is heavier. The Curado spool is very light and that helps casting tremendously. This is the reel for those who want to try a bait caster and have not had much luck with them in the past.

If you think the 200 series is too small, they also make in a 300 series. They are nice but for the price they get, I would rather fish my Calcuttas.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts