Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like everytime I try to save a nickle I end up paying double the price. I bought some 200# wind-on leader swivels from bass pro under the name of "Offshore Angler". Normally, I use SPRO wind-ons but the bass pro version was a tad cheaper. Here's the problem:

The holes on the ones I bought have razor-sharp edges..... apply a little pressure to the mono and these edges cut the line like it was butter. I'm not saying every package of these things is bad, I'm suggesting that if you have them, take a close look before you end up saying bye-bye to your catch and some expensive lures, etc. Cheers!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I got a close look at the Tsunami brand, and many of the holes were not centered on the ends, leaving a weak spot. I cold see almost half were so close to the side, that it only left about .4 mill (or so) of brittle high carbon steel. It looked like they would easily break with 30-40 pounds of pressure, going through the roller.

It was package after package, as if they were done by hand, in china. I'll never use one after that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Stick with Sampo or Spro!!! Too much money invested in this stuff to get cheap on a swivel.Anything that connects you to a fish of a lifetime[could happen anytime]should be the best made.I dont mean to preach,just a lesson learned long ago, buy the best, treat it right and you wont be dissapointed. capt Ken HOTSPOT SPORTFISHING OC.MD

·
Registered
874 Posts
Billfishers suck too! Kept having the top rings rusting out. They ended up cutting line too. Funny the cheap crosslocks I didnt have a problem with. Nothing but sampos for me now, lesson learned-

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gentlemen-

Welcome to the world of unchecked Chinese manufacturing that is all too prevalent in todays tackle industry. Since many of the manufacturers today aren't all that concerned about the overall quality of the products they sell why then would the Chinese manufacturer care either? They sell the stuff on price not quality and if someone squawks loud enough, they'll just replace it to shut them up. It's factored into the cost of doing business.

When the vast majority of fishermen could care less about the Made in The USA on the label, then prepare yourself for more of the same. As domestic manufacturers like myself come up with new and innovative products, the Chinese companies (aided and abetted by parasitic tackle companies domiciled here in the U.S.) cut you off at the knees and bring your own product to market undercutting you. It becomes a self fulfilling problem that causes some manufacturers to either go out of business or forces them offshore as well. So much for small businesses trying to provide jobs for fellow Americans...

Ok, back on subject...

All of Sampo's swivels are made in the U.S. The Spro products are made in Japan and China. The biggest difference with the Spro product versus the Offshore Angler and Sea Striker products is that Spro actually has their own QC people in the Chinese facilities making sure that it gets done right the first time. I use about 30,000 Sampo (AMERICAN MADE) swivels per year in manufacturing and have yet to find a swivel with sharp edges or poor workmanship. I initially started using the cheapest import swivels that I could find to help keep cost down and quickly found that the strength ratings on them were grossly overstated. My suppliers (at that time) weren't too concerned and offered no assistance in the event that I had a massive wave of pissed off customers either. Their response was you get what you pay for. My response was "you're not getting my money anymore and politely suggested they take note of the misstletoe hanging from my coattails. The split rings didn't hold up or bearings/ raceways would deform well before their stated break strength. It was an absolute joke. I decided then that I was going to either sell quality or get into another line of work.

If you are not concerned about catching fish and just like buying yardsale material or litter for the bottom of the ocean and sounds, then buy the cheapest thing you can. If you are serious about catching fish and want tackle that's going to hold up longer than one or two trips, be more demanding as a consumer before you make the purchase-not after.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info. Thanks.

I just dumped a load of Penn 1.6 sleeves in the trashcan. Looking at them close, out of the package, they were all different sizes; or at least poorly crafted with a great deal of variance from one to another. Guess Penn buys Chinese too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
TK-

Almost all of Penn products are being made in China now with the exception of the International Series reels. With Shakespeare now owning Penn, my guess is that it's just a matter of time before they are made there as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts