Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I decided to try it out on moving water. Again, nothing special just a couple miles up and back on the Monocacy by my home. Current does tend to change things a bit doesn't it.
Upon returning home and pulling it from on top the truck I found something that concerned me though. There was about a quart of water sloshing around inside. I checked all three hatch seals and they were on tight. And with the 1 inch lip around the holes, theres no way a little splashing could have seeped that much water through.
While sponging the water out I did notice a lot of drilled plastic shaving from where the mounted the eyelets etc. I also noticed that there is no sealant and any of the drill holes. Just a nut and washer on the inside.
Do I just need to remove and seal all of the original mounts, or could I be facing a bigger issue?
BTW, the boat was purchased new, but it is stamped as a "demo" model. (to be used as a rental). Does that mean they don't check to see if it leaks?
Someone PLEASE put my mind at ease.

·
Registered
132 Posts
sealing the holes is not a bad idea. But also check the scupper holes. that is where the plastic olds together and sometimes has cracks and or thin plastic. one way to check it is to take your hatches off and take it to flat water where you can watch the yak on the inside to see if water comes in. Also have heard of the opposite, filling the yak with water on something like saw horses and seeing where it might leak out from. Good luck

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Instead of filling it with water, which I think would put a lot of undue stress on the yak since it wasn't made to fill with water, use a flashlight and stick it inside pointed at the scupper tubes. If you see light you giot a problem. I'd also seal the hull penetrations.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With WS rudder system $799 out the door and was able to purchase somewhat locally.
Limitted warranty means only factory defects are covered for one year.
Between demo and taxes, figure I saved somewhere around $200, even more if I had to have it shipped.
Just spent the savings on a fish finder.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I would say you have a warranty item, DEMO boats are blems and may have some pinholes. All my boats are DEMO's.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I look at pontoon boats and canoes and now I am looking at a fishing kayak. I like the idea of it being so portable. I have never been in a kayak and was wondering how stable are they and what is the rudder for. Is that so when you hook a big fish you can steer you boat with the fish. Is there anywhere in the Hampton roads area that somebody can go and test kayak before you buy one.
Dan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They say the T-140 is stable enough to stand in, and I'm brand new to the sport. I can say that it is possible to stand up in it, but I don't intend to often. I've found I can kneel in it and lenghthen my cast considerably.
I'm still discovering the benefits of a rudder, so I'm not the best person to ask.
Sorry, but I don't know where Hampton roads is, otherwise I'ld let you take mine for a spin.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Dan,

I think Wild River Outfitters is having a demo day soon. Someone else chime in if I am wrong. You won't find a better self propelled fishing pla tform than a sit on top kayak. I have the Tarpon 16 and I have never tried to stand up on it and don't plan to unless ready to fall in. Usually I am loaded down with gear and or the water is cold so I'm not trying to go in the water! Some of the wider yaks are supposedly easier to stand on. I doubt you really want to stand on one unless you are fishing on some flats or something like that. I hear people talk about standing for sight fishing in areas like that but I don't do that kind of fishing.

Tom

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have seen plans for outriggers that look like they work well. It seems to me to be too much clutter and junk on board. I would definately try some if I lived in florida, and were sight casting to permit, tarpon, etc. There is too much chop up here, and not enough sightcasting.

the outriggers were made using of 2 or 3 liter plastic bottles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sealed up all of the mounting points with silicone in hopes that would solve my leaking issue. It did not. Took a paddle on the Monoc again today and drained about a quart of water out after a few hours.
I guess it's warranty time :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts