Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1984 Mako 254 with T-Top and after only about 8 trips out, the T-Top broke at the welds in 3 of the 4 main connections to the vertical posts. I had it re-welded by a very qualified and reputable guy. After another 5 trips out I can already see cracks near the welds (but not on the welds). My suspicion is the design. This T-Top has a roll bar in the back that starts on one gunnel, goes up and attaches to the T-top at the rocket launchers, and rolls back down to the other gunnel. Is it possible that this roll bar is torqueing the T-Top when the boat flexes?

Any help here will be appreciated.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sounds to me like your "roll bar" was probably a good design to add extra strength to the top. Could be that your top is just too large for the supports? Or possibly your 1984 model boat has lost a lot of strength in the hull and is flexing too much? Just suggestions, without actually seeing the problem first hand it's hard to offer advice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I see alot of times that the top is not secured very well to the center console, or that the center console itself is not attached very well to the deck, which allows alot of flex and torque,also alot of manufacturers kind of skimp on there pipe sizes for the tops,I wish I could see a photo of the cracks to help you out more, I build tops for a living and see alot of underbuilt factory tops.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts