Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
April 10th my wife caught a 20 and one half inch male Tog at the 4th Island. The tag was encrusted with growth. I just learned the fish was tagged by Brandon Honeycutt at the 4th Isle on April 13, 2008. It was 16 inches. I thought that it may have been on the loose a bit longer.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
That's pretty neat catching a tagged fish, I've got many t-shirts myself.
Years ago they started the tagging program to gain info/knowledge on these fish and all that I've caught haven't moved far if at all over the years. They have learned enough about these and other spiecies that I wish they would make better use of my money and stop wasting it for what I consider " tagging for sport".

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
CC, I can see from your reply above that you are well-informed about the scientific results of the VGFTP, tell us more. What about the other species that are tagged, what do they know about them? Everybody knows that any good scientific study on fish by tagging them for growth, movement, mortality, etc. should reap all we need to know in 5-10 years, that's just common sense. And the funding is definetly questionable, that money could be better spent on boat ramps and reefs at least 50 miles up in the bay, or a college study on how hermit crabs know when it's winter. Next time you catch a tagged fish, call it in so they get the data, refuse the reward, and tell them why. If enough folks do that, they might drop the program and build a new boat ramp in the Potomac, no Togs up there to worry about anyway.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should call Brandon to let him know. I'm sure he will be interested. His number is: 757.725.1453
Thanks Mike, I called him and he was surprised and delighted in hearing the news. Coincidently, I was called by the folks that run the tagging program, to join them this year. I'm looking forward in tagging some fish, especially flounder, I hope.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
CC, I can see from your reply above that you are well-informed about the scientific results of the VGFTP, tell us more. What about the other species that are tagged, what do they know about them? Everybody knows that any good scientific study on fish by tagging them for growth, movement, mortality, etc. should reap all we need to know in 5-10 years, that's just common sense. And the funding is definetly questionable, that money could be better spent on boat ramps and reefs at least 50 miles up in the bay, or a college study on how hermit crabs know when it's winter. Next time you catch a tagged fish, call it in so they get the data, refuse the reward, and tell them why. If enough folks do that, they might drop the program and build a new boat ramp in the Potomac, no Togs up there to worry about anyway.
Rob, i figured you may chime in on this one :D
Actually i have been to the VGFTP website and fell i am as well informed as the website will let me be, ive read most of it before and looked at the tag returns thru the years and on most species it tells the same thing over and again, especially on Tog. Why keep sticking Tog,Seabass , Flounder, others if you keep getting the same results, 15 years of data shows the same basic results. I think the tagging is or has become " Good Sport" for most, with the awards for most tagged and so forth and just something cool for people to do that fish alot, gives them something else to have fun with at the license purchasers expense.
As far as a boat ramp someplace being built isnt that what the license money is supposed to be for, i think that was one of the reasons why a saltwater license was established ? Wasnt long after they made a Saltwater License they had a easy time finding stupid things to do with the money , like building long piers in shallow water.
I just renewed my boat License for the year, it went up TEN dollars, for what?
Ill continue to collect my T-shirt for tag returns, at lease ill be lucky and get some of my money back in something i can wear to work.
To each his own, I love you Rob.:))
Sorry to highjack your thread codenurse :peace:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts