Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished the Bonner Bridge catwalk at Oregon Inlet the last week of June and tagged 34 fish for the Va Gamefish Tagging Program. We taggers know that VA and NC share the same fish, so that is why we sometimes tag fish outside of Va. First, if anyone catches a fish with a tag, please handle carefully (handle all fish you plan to release carefully) and then note the species, size, and hopefully measure the fish. There will be a phone # and tag # on the tag - please call and report! Our program offers rewards of nice VGFTP hats and t-shirts, and others offer rewards of $$.
We tag 10 species of fish - all of which can be caught at OI.
I tagged black seabass, black drum, spadefish and flounder that week, and have already had 6 recaptures - one as short as three days!
While fishing, my 8 year-old daughter (fishing and tagging partner) caught spot up to 12"! I fried those[grin]
Thanks for all you do for the VGFTP.
T

·
Registered
328 Posts
Kool and TY for doing your part in marine conservation.We tagged really hard a few years back and the marine fisheries guys would always tell us where the hot bite was [grin]...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been a blast being a part of research. 95% of the fish I tag are juveniles, so I can tell you where they are...I usually do the hot grease experiment on the legal keepers.
I did tag over 20 specks one day a few years ago up to 18" - already had a limit in the box, so I didn't mind tagging the rest.
T

1 - 3 of 3 Posts