Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a pretty good weekend caught some nice fish mostly on 2/6 white tandems and green umbrellas in the 40 ft range outside of CB yesterday had several tails bitten off my shads could bluefish be mixed in

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had a tail bitten off opening day as well. & last year I caught an over 24 " bluefish before May 1. i suspect that some blues come in with the stripers but don't stay long.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
10 to15 lb blues have been caught Oceanside in the surf in Delaware. Some of the schools probably detoured up the bay like they used to years ago. A nineteen Tony or crippled alewife will nail them in the bay.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
In the early 90's when the rockfish ban was on, big blues made a run into the bay around this time of year. MSSA's big tourney was a bluefish tournament. 1994 winner weighed 15.37# if my memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Wouldn't it be awesome if the big blues started coming back? Might be worth putting on a tony on the way way back trolling spread.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Interesting, although I did read recent a report of croakers at Point Lookout.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Some people love to fish for blues, others hate em..

Guess which one I am? :fishing2::thumbup:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wonder if they were actually bitten off or if they were just defective shads that tore by the tail.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I used to catch croakers consistently by the end of April at the mouth of the PAX. Filling coolers type catching..not one or two. Haven't had those numbers this early in a few years. Blues have been showing up earlier and earlier instead. Last year my son caught a bluefish in April while catfishing in Bushwood.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I used to catch croakers consistently by the end of April at the mouth of the PAX. Filling coolers type catching..not one or two. Haven't had those numbers this early in a few years. Blues have been showing up earlier and earlier instead. Last year my son caught a bluefish in April while catfishing in Bushwood.
I caught one north of Coles Point last year around the last week of April. Not huge but about 16". One of the larger blues I've ever caught that far up the river. They are regular in the Summer in that area but tend to be in the 8 to 12" range.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Top water plugging for blues in the 10 to 20 lb. range in shallow water on light sticks is hard to beat in my opinion. Every point on the western shore held them from at least Sonders Pt. to Ft. Smallwood from mid-May until the first week in June. It would happen every evening regardless of tide. They are bruisers. And great in the smoker. I guess the folks who don't like to catch blues are annoyed when they ruin the day when you are wanting to catch rock and they destroy those spot. They can foul up a tuna chunking trip real fast too.

·
Premium Member
26,184 Posts
I'm with proline - likely the tails wore through.

Take a second to examine the shad part that is left and compare it to another full one. If the " bite " is right where the tail is skinny - likely the tail worn off.

If it is farther up and has a slight cresent or " C " shape - could be an early Bluefish. Very close examination could show tiny teeth marks.

Some shads are very thin near tail and if trolled faster then 3 knots - like outside board on hard turn , the tail will wobble / twist until it tears off.

Good quality shads will hold up for days of trolling - cheap quality ones can wear out after few hours.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It is a good question about whether shads were defective or bitten off.

I suspect that more than a few seem to be bitten off, and I don't suspect it to all be defectives. I think, stripers generally will attack from the head end, whiles blues from any end. I don't think stripers will bite off that many tails if any at all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pretty sure they were bitten off happened to 2 different colors and 1 of my tandems had both tails gone on both parachutes witch was my hot bait that day so im thinking it was bluefish

·
Registered
589 Posts
Now I am very sure it is bluefish.. from ocean City oyster tackle: April 27,2014

Ocean City Inlet Water Temp. 48.9 Delaware Buoy 47

Big bluefish show up in numbers along the Maryland and Delaware beaches and inlets. We haven't seen a Spring run of bluefish like this in years!
Chopper blues were caught from the Assateague surf to the Delaware Seashore State Park. We had reports of bluefish up to 39" caught from the surf on cut bunker and finger mullet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts