Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help please.

In June I am spending a week in the outer banks on vacation. I have a Bertram 25FBSF. I want to have my boat down there. I would be a little concerned taking it oceanside. How about down the ICW? Anybody ever done this? How far from VA Beach? Channel ok?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've taken the ICW countless times and have always enjoyed it. It's an easy trip if the wind isn't blowing, but it takes a while. You have to plan your trip around the bridge lifts and Great Bridge lock openings. The trip outside is easy on a nice day, but you know how that goes. You can buy a chart of the ICW, review it, and make a decision from there. Like I said, it's a nice trip, as long as the wind isn't too bad. The water can stack up pretty good in there since it's shallow water.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Mark,

Take down the coast especially since June is a calm month. It is much simplier and faster. The ICW can get you in more trouble than running outside. It is about 66 miles from Rudee to the OI Sea Bouy. Just pick a decent day and you will be fine.

I now of some dock slips down there that would be pretty inexpensive to dock at or Broad Creek is another one.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Mark both ways have their advantages. If your boat will make it under all the bridges and you don;t mind the no wake, locks, extra time the ICW is fine. If you have to wait on the bridge lifts you will have to watch the clock plan on waiting around on occasion. If the weather is good the outside is much faster and no big deal. I would suggest if you are set on the ICW go ahead and buy the ICW handbook that gives you all the details. You can get it at Boaters World or West or on line for that matter. As far as water depths in the ICW you're fine for the most part but remember it can get pretty nasty in the shallow sounds, its not all flat water.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like the outside because you can run to the south tower and troll the outside to OI and meet the Charter boats coming in the inlet. I like to be safe and follow the big boys in.

·
Registered
733 Posts
25ft Bertram ! Outside `route, just pick ur day, I`ve run my 23ft`er almost that far, and the guys winter striper fishing r most of the time more than 1/2 way there on any given
day. Go 4 the OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! My .02 worth. About a 3 hr. ride.

Capt.Skid

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I ran down 70 miles from Rudee last summer in my 25' WA offshore fishing. Like the others said, no big deal if you have the right day picked out. few hours and your there. Just watch the markers going back in to OI.

Rock Crusher
257 Seafox WA
ch 68/78

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Run it outside on a nice day and meet up with the charters on their way in.

June is a super month to fish down there...everything will be available (Yellowfins, wahoo, bills and LOTS of nice gaffers.Godd luck!!

Glenn

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Last time I made the trip in the ICW the locks at Great Bridge allowed you to go thru on the hour and the bridges lifted on the 1/2 hour. Timing is the key. It's not a bad ride. I went thru the locks and then from the locks to the first bridge I found the distance and calculated how fast to go to the bridge and when I got there at the 1/2 hour I had a couple of minutes to wait and then went thru. DId that with the rest of the bridges (2) and then a nice ride down.

As you go thru Coinjock, Midway Marina is on the right and they have a nice restaurant. If you want slow, go down the canal that comes out in Elizabeth City; no wake for 17 miles or so!!

Going outside is an option for a nice day, but if the weather is snotty when you want to go, use the ICW.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. Sounds like oceanside is the way to go if the weather is nice.
I really appreciate all the comments.

Mark...................oceanside it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mark, if you take the outside down, be sure to keep a sharp eye out for Cobia on top since you will be making the trip during prime time Cobia migration along the coast &
into the bay for summer spawning.You could possibly be encountering large schools of fish eager to take a large bucktail or live bait.It sounds like it would be a fun trip for you!!! Have a safe journey & good luck. RED EYE-24 Topaz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts