Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fish alone a lot and have been approached at CC a few times by guys wanting to jump onboard and fish. Strangers but they hang around CC a lot from what the workers tell me. My wife is DEAD SET AGAINST me taking out strangers when I go fishing. She worries about who they are, what they could do, etc. Always imagines the worst.

I tell her I always see guys post on Tidalfish asking for HO's for a trip but she won't give on this one.

What stories or experiences, good and bad, can you tell me that would make me decide either way. Recommendations to filter out potentially bad experiences?? Maybe I should join an anglers club to network??

·
Registered
526 Posts
maybe be a ho on another guys boat that way you can say to your wife "hey i went out with this guy on his boat at least let me take him out on mine" that way you can do it like that.

my hoeing experince i should think was good for the guys i fished with, ive always hoed and have never been "banned" from a boat, with hoeing you get your great boat owners and youve got your ahole boat owners the best thing to do is just keep fishing.

mark

·
Registered
631 Posts
i would be leary about taking someone off the dock that you dont know. I fish alone 90% of the time due to I just go when i can. i dont make plans to go. the guys on here that are ho's are regulars on the site. to ease your wifes mind, try to meet them first to get a feel to see if your going o be able to fish together. i dont think there are any wacko's on here anymore. good luck!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have been a ho and have had ho's on my boat. So far, my experiences have been positive. I have met several good folks doing this, have learned from them and have shared a few of my experiences also.

I try not to fish alone athough I do it on occasions. IMO, it is just safer to have someone on board if something should happen. Of course, you have to be adaptive. On someone else's boat, they are the captain. You can make suggestions, but it is their call. I always welcome suggestions, as I recognize I have much to learn even if I have been fishing all my life.

I am not so sure about those that just hang around the local ramp, but I don't trailer my boat. I have been out with several at my marina, but the advantage there is you know they boat and understand what it takes to boat.

Joe (Miller Time)

·
Registered
414 Posts
First time I joined a boater as a ho, my wife thought I was going with an axe murderer and never coming back. If you've been on the board for a while -- you get a sense about the people that hang out here. I would have no problem taking or going out with anyone on this board. I've been out with a number of tfers and have never run into a 'bad' egg.

I agree with other posters that taking unknowns at the ramp would not be a good idea. I fish by myself a lot due to deciding at the last moment to go out when I get the chance. While I'm comfortable going out single handed. There are times when having a extra pair of hands is not only helpful, but safer. I also pick up tricks of the trade while out with other anglers. And when gas was $4.00/gal -- having someone help out with fuel was a win-win.

Another possibility is join-up with a charter as a walk-on. You'll meet 4 or 5 other guys and arrange trips on each others boat at a later time.

My experience as a ho has been a very positive experience. I'll be glad to join-up with you and can even provide the names of other TFers that I've been out with. I'm sure you could e-mail them for a reference.

Dan

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
i talked to a guy at c.c. a few years back hanging @ the dock. he was young, in the navy & never fished the ocean. after awhile conversating got his # & called later in the week. took him to duck nc, birds in a tornado. lines out 1st pass 36 & 36.5 bluefish, 40# striper. be careful but you could make a memory for life. he went on to OCS & is an officer now.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Hoing?

I have been one and taken hos, but would not take a walk up at the dock. I prefer to speak to them first ahead of time.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress
Ho Ho Ho

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm a newly wed to the whole Salt Rock adventure, after fishin the last 2 years with "Rock Crusher" I have learned alot about fishin Salt. I now have my Boat getting wet in the Salt waters of VA. I have been down 3 times in the last 3 weeks and have had great adventure's being a ho, as well as hosting Ho's and have met over 8 great Angler's. This is your Angler's network site, your welcome to joint me any time I post Ho's, or I'll be glad to Fish on your ride, become a Subscriber and you'll meet all the right Angler's.

·
Registered
649 Posts
First time I joined a boater as a ho, my wife thought I was going with an axe murderer and never coming back.
Dan
Our wives went to the same school of worry. My first time ho'ing was a few weeks back with my wife, Mother and sister all convinced they'd never see me again. But of course nothing happened since I limit myself to ho'ing with frequent posters on either TidelFish or CVSFA. As to my own boat, I would limit myself to brining someone on board having spoken to me via the web or phone prior the day of fishing. Just taking someone off the dock on a moments notice seems a bit to adventurous to me.

When on someone else's boat I try to learn, both what I should do AND what I should not do to be a better fisherman and Capt when on my own boat. I also would not have admitted to ho'ing until a week ago when someone posted the definition. ;-)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Its a great way to learn new teq tactics and spots by taking out ho's but remember just cause you have a boat doesn't mean you dont have to contribute! Spread the knowledge! Walk ups I might be a little leary of but board post, its a hell of alot safer trying to boat a 44" fish in a 3' sea state with a crew! Stick with the poster for Hoing! There is alot of great folks on the board with plenty of folks who can vouch for them! Also consider trip swaps!

I have alot of new fishing buddies from the board now that I fish with.
Capt Wayne

·
Registered
182 Posts
One of my go to fishing buds I met through this board. He has a boat now and alternating boats works out great. As others have said, safer to stick with familiar posters on this board.

Jorge

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ive always had great experiences with the HO system on this board. Ive fished with many tidalfish members and have always had a great time. Im also one of the younger individuals on here (21) and have been fishing with others on the board since my senior year in high school without issue. I just wish I could get back in town more than I have the last year so I could take better advantage of the system. Thank goodness Im back in town for a week and headin out on the water in an hour...its been too long.

You wont have a problem with any axe murderers on this board, but I wouldnt take a random from the dock.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
I was heading out alone a few years ago and had a fellow walk up and ask if I had room for 1 guy. I sized him up- seemed OK and invited him onboard.He introduced himself and I found out he is a preacher.We had a good day fishing and have remained friends and fish 2-3 times a year.

99% of the people you meet are OK. They take a chance asking you for a trip also - you could be the "axe murderer" :D.

Best to get a phone # and call them when you plan your next trip.

I agree with the others- fishing alone this time of year is risky.At least with a "HO" on the boat- they can drag you back in.

My dad has a good saying - Strangers are just friends you have not met :thumbup:.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven't taken a Ho for several years but used to frequently. Most were young military guys who really knew how to fish and it was really a treat for them to go and I was very happy to do it. I also had the pleasure of meeting Crystal Clear and learned a good deal that day. I would encourage you to ask for any Ho you might have room for, you won't regret it and you might want to Ho yourself some,I fished with Motorhead and Flounderman this way and had a great time.

·
Registered
643 Posts
So far I've only had one HO. Picked him up off of here and he was a great guy and very helpful on the boat. I'm trying to get out sunday weather permitting. I sent him an email yesterday about sunday first.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I went one time. My wife is like the rest of them. She wanted to know if the insurance policy was payed up. I went with Sal. Great guy. had a great time. It is nice to make new friends.

Vince

·
Registered
379 Posts
I ho'd one day about 3 years ago for a guy i had never met but had talked to over the phone several times about my rockfishing spread when trolling. Been fishing with Dave ever since and i have to give him credit for much of what i know about rockfishing...I had a great experience being a ho and hopefully you'll find a good one as well...Just talk to some of the poepl on the board a few times, and you will get a feel for how the person is going to be on your boat. I have ho's on my boat occassionally, 90 percent of the time your going to find that you would be more then willing to have them out on your boat again. Some of the best ho's arent neccessarilly the most experienced, but just down to earth people that are fun to be around and easy to fish with

Capt. Jordan

PS. Its always safer to fish with a buddy

1 - 20 of 32 Posts