Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took a little over 6 months of pondering, but I've finally bit the bullet and got me a new blue yak.

I was in New Orleans for Jazz Fest/Birthday/vacation and happened to come across a Blue Manta Ray 12 with my name on it at the local outdoor sports shop. Its now sitting in my basement in Columbia waiting for some attention. (Here's the part where I ask for advice)

I now need to start outfitting it with rod holders, anchor trolleys, leashes, etc. and outfitting myself with the requisite saftey gear. Oh, and I need a paddle. This is my first kayak so I'm gonna need some help with selection and maybe some installation.

Here's what I've picked up while I was in New Orleans:
SOSpenders manual inflate life jacket
Scotty Fly Rod holder (did I mention I fish the long rod?)
Scotty 3 rod system
3 & 1.5 pound grappling anchors (no rope yet)

I don't have a Fish Finder, and need to save some $$$ before I get one. I do have a Garmin GPSMAP60 so I need to get a bracket for that (RAM?). Thats probably all for electronics for now (except a handheld marine radio for heading out in bigger water).

What's a good place to get rod holders, fasteners, hardware, para-cord etc. in the Balt-Wash area.

Plus, suggestions for a kayak cart? I don't want to spend $100 on one so PVC and wheels is more what I had in mind.

And finally, a paddle. Is it worth it to spend a little extra dough and get a carbon fiber paddle? I've got a 20% off coupon for REI thats burning a whole in my pocket, dare I make a trip?

All thoughts and comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I'm pretty close to you in Odenton, and would be glad to provide rigging assistance. I ordered all my rigging gear from http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com

Also check out their DIY forum for great instructions and pics of DIY carts, and anything else you can think of.

I did pick up a few deck loops, etc, locally.

You can get scotty/ram mounts and rod holders at Bass Pro Shops in the Arundel Mills Mall if you don't want to order them online.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I just got a carbon fiber paddle and can say that, yes, it is worth the money but only if you have it! I started with an aluminum shaft and it never stopped me from going anywhere, just a little more effort. Fiberglass is better than aluminum. Basically, it's the old 'you get what you pay for' thing.

I can vouch for kayakfishingstuff.com. I've bought over $1000 worth of stuff from them and couldn't say anything but good about their service, knowledge, or promptness.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew about KFS. I've been lurking on their forums for a few weeks now and have browsed the online store. I spent most of last night reading the articles, so todays project is to build a cart.

Up next: Anchor system & rod holders

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I need to build an anchor trolley too. Let me know if you are buying some cord and pulleys from somewhere, and we can split shipping.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You can get a real good deal on anchor shuttle materials at www.captdick.net. The nightline is really good for fishing at night or lowlight because it has reflective material made into it.
For the Scotty triple mount in the front, you can take a hacksaw and cout off the middle holder flush with the mount and then put your FF there. It gets it up out of the way and you really don't want 3 rods up front anyway. It also makes a good base to mount your other electronics without having to buy other mounts. For you GPS, just get industrial strength velcro with adhesive backing and mount in on the flat spot between the rod holders. I will post pics if needed. Hope this helps.
Chad

·
Registered
421 Posts
Bass Pro Shops has the Carlisle RS Magic fiberglass shaft paddle in 220 and 230 cm, for $80. I think it's a great buy, and use it myself. If you want top quality, Outdoorplay.com has some carbon paddles on sale right now.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Progress Report:

I'm putting the finishing touches on a PVC kayak cart based on the article at KFS.

Picked up an Aqua Bound Sting Ray paddle at REI with my 20% off coupon.

Have an anchor trolley, and general rigging stuff on order from KFS, should arrive Monday.

Picked up some miscellaneous screws/nuts/etc. at West marine so I can mount my Scotty Fly Rod holder later today.

Still need to go beg, borrow, or steal a milk crate. Looks like the Manta Ray will hold a legal size crate from staples/office depot.

FYI. The Liquid Logic website has been updated and has some rigging videos, walk throughs, etc. for the Manta Ray. Plus, another forum I have to monitor.

Doesn't look like I'll make it to Henlopen this weekend with Ken & Diane, but hopefully sometime soon. Will probably splash the kayak for the first time in the Magothy on Saturday or Sunday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.