Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found myself heading for Tampa Bay for 3-months solo and figured it might be a good chance to take the 9' 8-weight multi-piece travel flyrod I used for salmon in '02 and post-work throw an hour or so a day.

I have been looking around for a snook, trout, and redfish primer for flyfishing those well known TB fish. (I grew up fishing the ICW in NW FL using spinning and baitcasting tackle - but never fly - so I know the fish, just not the method.)

I may get a cheap used kayak to fish from and will be living in Hyde Park, so I will keep to the northern part of the bay. I will also have access to McDill.

So, all I have is described above - standard issue travel rod, but I think I need to upgrade from the Cabelas Drake III reel that came with it. Anyone have a reel recommendation?

I plan on going with the Redfish Taper line from Scientific and, being without imagination, going with their 16 piece "Redfish Fly" assortment kit that seems to have the right starting stuff and gets good reviews.

As usual though, the mix of advice here usually gives some great ideas. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Have you seen my Venice FL. beach fishing report and pictures of my Brother in-law for last week? You will be close to Venice, and the beach fishing in that area is really good now for snook. Walking the beach with your fly rod should catch them. Good luck with the fly rod. Check my Brother in-law report.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts