Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We fished Tangier Sound yesterday off of Deal Island. We expected 1'-2' and got 3' to 4' with water coming over the bow and sides at times. We managed one fish that was 36" long. I frequently like to check my fish to see what they have been eating. This fish had a big head but body tapperd off quite fast. I didn't know if this was because the fish had spawned out or hadn't been eating. Anyway, after filleting it I checked the stomach contents. Before I opened the stomach I could feel something hard and though it had eaten a decent size blue crab. I was surprised to see that it was a rather large treble hook with a small piece of mono attached. The hook was not embedded in the stomack lining and it appeared there was a small piece of crab of some sort on one of the hooks. Not sure what fishing method uses a treble hook of that size...perhaps someone after a large black drum?

Food Vertebrate Cuisine Fish Fish products

Eye Leg Ingredient Human body Cuisine

Hand Jaw Finger Gesture Thumb

Glasses Wood Wood stain Jewellery Eyewear

·
Registered
839 Posts
Interesting, not sure about the treble hook either. The wind was howling down there yesterday morning when we left, figured it was gonna be another rough one. Today looks like the ideal day to make a run to the main stem of the bay, shame i can't get out there.:((

Nice fish, one is always better than a skunk!:yes:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Last yr I caught a skinny 30" fish at the Bay Bridge on TW that had a 18" Live line leader complete with spinner blade trailing behind hooked in its throat.The blade was worn down quite a bit so I figured it must have been swimming like that for some time .
I was able to remove the hook with extra long Forceps without injury and release it .

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
That treble hook is interesting. Could have been from many different type of fishing - Rockfish might not even have been the targeted species.

Logic would suggest some type of bait but I've seen some jigging spoons rigged to slide up / down the leader.

Some live liners use treble hooks in summer.

The fish you caught sure looks healthy for having that hook in it.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That treble hook is interesting. Could have been from many different type of fishing - Rockfish might not even have been the targeted species.

Logic would suggest some type of bait but I've seen some jigging spoons rigged to slide up / down the leader.

Some live liners use treble hooks in summer.

The fish you caught sure looks healthy for having that hook in it.
Hi Skip....forgot to mention the fish was caught off one of your planer boards. I think there was part of a small crab on one of the hooks but couldn't say for sure....looked like a joint and small fin. I guess the thing that amazed me the most is that it had three hooks and neither one stuck the fish. Perhaps it had a live lined crab that obstructed the points of the hook...who knows but had I known what the old girl had already been through I probably would have let her go.

·
Registered
643 Posts
a co-customer at a tackle store tried to sell me on ltj with zoom lures and treble hooks. he had pics to back up claims. there's no telling what people are doing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts