Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to ask a couple questions regarding targeting stripers in the James.

I purchased a 22 Hurricane in May and have had a blast this summer boating & fishing w/ the kids. We've been dropping it at Osborne Landing. My experience is predominatly as a surf fisherman so I'm not plugged in to targeting stripers in the river.

-I assume there's "schoolies" all year long. When do the larger stripers move up river?

-Do the larger stripers make their way into the Jordan Point/Dutch gap area in the fall?

-What seems to be the most efective way to target; trolling umbrella rigs/buck tails etc. or can you bottom fish or drift clams/cut bait?

Thanks for the help & if you see a white 22 Hurricane deck boat w/ 2 wild little boys-thats' me.

Dave

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I am not skilled at targeting stripers in the James, but I do luck into a few while catfishing. Cut bait, on a basic fish-finder or bottom rig, fished near dark on a flat can be a really fun time. You will see them hitting top water in the late evenings.

I fish some small cut bait. Keeping it up off the bottom for easy access. Please use circle hooks with the live bait. Lots of small stripers that will need to be turned back.

Good luck,

Dayton

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm actually heading up to Greentop tomorrow night. I take my father up there when he comes to town & I need some more Fishbites. I've caught a lot of catfish on the imitation bloodworms on spot/croaker rigs.

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neil:

Picked up your dvd at Greentop-the tips for the stripers & larger catfish were very helpful. Looking forward to trying them out.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts