Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed to Waves and Hatteras in Mid-july with my 18 CC and was wondering if there were any tarpon around the sound, and if so, where might the best shot be or general location? I have fished for them on the eastern shore just anchored and soaking cut bunker on the bottom (people swear thats the best way to cactch them) and I have read a couple articles. I would really love to catch even one on my new boat, even a small one would be nice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[grin]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ill start this reply with a disclaimer that I have this info second hand, but I have a friend who has fished for tarpon and caught a few on the eastern-inside area of hatteras inlet (in the oliver reef area). I believe he was down there around early august so I dont know if they are there in july. I also have heard of tarpon being caught off the point in the ocean but dont really know anyone who has had any success in that regard.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tarpon are all through the sound in July-Aug, hard to tell where they will be. I have had the best luck fishing from Cedar Island to Brant Island Sholes into the start of the Neuse River a few miles past "Point of Marsh" and "Lighthouse Shoals". I have had best luck live bait fishing for them, but have caught them other ways, as much by accident as on purpose. There are a couple of guides (from Oreintal????) that target Tarpon. They are fun to catch, but not worth eating. [grin]

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I have an old Fishing in NC book.It does indicate Brant Shoals for Tarpon,but no specific methods.I'd try chumming with cut & live bait around Brant shoals for a starter.Tarpon must surface to breath,so keep scanning the surface looking for them flashing along the surface.Have fun and good luck.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS for all the info[excited][excited][excited] I have been dying to at least try some while I am down there, and if one by accident, that would be fine by me!
I will have to try a bunch of different places It sounds like.
I would guess they are like most other species and that the incoming and slack high are the best times to try?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts