Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Tautog may not be as well sought after as some of the more popular species like founder, striper, trout and reds, but I believe they are catching on. Their reputation for putting up intense fights are well deserved, so if you decide to give it a shot at these bulldogs of the rocks, here are some of my personal preferences when fishing for them from a kayak....

http://www.angling-addict.com/2011/04/tautog-rig.html

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Thanks for the info, Rob. Is there a brand/model of rod you prefer?
Rob uses a Shimano Cardiff 30 reel. He said the 30 might not be for striper 30-40 pounders. But I don't know his rod. I had a Ugly Stick one piece 6.5' MH action rod but it was too flexible. I want a light and stiff rod (6-7')

BTW, you have to have at least 10-15 rigs ready (in the zip bags), because you will loose the rigs. There is no time for making rigs when tog bite. Just replace the rig and fiddler or green crab, I learned.

Also 15 3-4 oz weights

Redfish12 an I were trying to go CBBT or Concrete Ship since the last Fall. We couldn't make the trips because of the wind and my scehdule.

Joe

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have since switched to a Shimano Calcutta 200B, but the Cardiff and even the Corvalus will work. As far as rods go, I'm partial to the Shimano Teremar rods in either 6.5' or 7'. However, it may be a little pricey so a good alternative (and one that Kayak Kevin recommends) is a Sea Striker Contour IM6 Graphite 6’6”.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I am hoping the Fed government shutdown so I can go fishing for tog seriously. My revised schedule showed today that I work 7 days a week until June 1. but I know a couple of tasks will be cancelled. I am patiently waiting for Rob's next tog report.
joe

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have fingers crossed for that too Joe, except the loss in pay! Might put that revo further back... Don't worry I'm seriously shopping for them.

I haven't had a chance to go, but I got a 7ft Teramar XH used for $60 bucks that feels great. I don't know if it will be able to detect bites but I got it for kipto last year. I'm hoping Joe and I can get out there soon. I am also considering taking my MH lite tackle set up and drop some of those small hook heavy jigheads down to see if I can pull one up with it. Ictalurus, check out the bass pro muskie graphite series, I think they might fit the bill, granted I haven't had a chance to tog, but tested it with 4 oz and seems capable.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Thanks for the info, gents. I've been thinking about getting a rod to throw big (6"+) topwater plugs, and I was wonder if I could get one to do double duty if I ever get to go tog fishing. Actually, Bass Pro has a number of rods that look like they'll work.

redfish--where did you get the heavy jigheads with small hooks? I'm always on the look out for jigheads to use for jigging for croaker.

·
Registered
124 Posts
King Mac live bait hooks, close out at West Marine in Charleston last year. I'll see if I can find them. I think mine are 1.5 or 2 oz. I haven't tried them but I figured they'd work for live-lining spot too but decided to stick with circle hooks last year. I'll get a picture for you at some point.

Are you guys fishing this weekend? I'm planning on heading to the flats or to the bridge... maybe the slough in front of Matapeake? Need to check weather, but I can bring that muskie rod if you want to test it out. It's the heavy and not the extra heavy which is shorter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts