Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't have one, but I got to handle another fella's at the range awhile back. T/C builds a top quality gun. That said, the guy at the range was having trouble with his "finger removable" breech plug. He couldn't get that thing out, even with the supplied wrench. The wrench was also too short to clear the rear of the scope, so he was trying to avoid bashing his scope with that or his hand as well.

I've had two Omega's, and prefer them to the Triumph. They're just as easy to operate and clean, IMO, and shoot great. I've got an Omega Z5 with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40, I've got under $400 in the whole rig (bought the gun used on gunbroker, the scope NIB on ebay, and the Warne rings, Warne mounts, and sling from Midway and Bass Pro. I shoot 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 under a Barnes 250gr TMZ, and she'll shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yards all day long. This is my backup gun, so I haven't had a chance yet to shoot at farther distances or increase the powder charge.

My primary gun is a Savage ML-II. I think it's the best muzzleloader out there, due to the ability to shoot smokeless powder. It's not for everyone though, as you have to weigh powder, and there are a lot of different combos to try.

If you like to shoot a lot, think about a Savage, if you like to shoot 10 shots or so at the range, and then go hunting, I'd think about an Omega.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
My dad just bought one so I'll be playing with it at the range this week. I'll report back later.

·
Registered
785 Posts
they're nice but...

I hear the weathershield isn't very effective in preventing corrosion.
I buddy of mine has one and his son tells me it gets rusty really easily and he wont use it.
His Dad still does though and it kills deer - rust or not.

That being said, I have a new T/C Endeavor and have had the Omega (SS barrel, HD Hardwoods pattern, thumbhole) and I love(d) them both. Great guns.

The speed breech is a great feature.

Jim

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at the omega also.my brother has one.his only complaint is the thumb hole.he says it is uncomfortable to his wrist when he shoots it.I have never shot a gun with a thumb hole.anybody else have this problem.maybe it is the way he is holding it.he says it is accurate out to 150yards and forgets all about the discomfort when that white tail walks up.

·
Registered
785 Posts
thumbhole

not sure what exactly bothers your brother about the thumhole but I'll tell you IMHO that it was one of the most comfortable guns to shoot because of it.
I have had friends shoot it as well and they all really like that feature.
I have big hands - maybe handsize has something to do with making it more or less comfortable?
Got to BPS and try it out for yourself if you havent already.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
not sure what exactly bothers your brother about the thumhole but I'll tell you IMHO that it was one of the most comfortable guns to shoot because of it.
I have had friends shoot it as well and they all really like that feature.
I have big hands - maybe handsize has something to do with making it more or less comfortable?
Got to BPS and try it out for yourself if you havent already.
I have smaller hands and find the trigger pull n some thumbhole stocks is just too long to be comfortable. I wish there was a muzzleloader out there stocked like my Tikka master sporter. That is by far the most comfortable stock I have ever shot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can get the Omega (and most other guns) with or without a thumbhole stock. Both of mine were conventional stocks. My Savage is a thumbhole, and I love the thing, but that sort of thing is almost always individual preference.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have the omega with the nikon omega scope. Fantastic gun. Last years kill was at 182 yds. both lungs and heart.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Last Saturday I used my T/C Omega with the Nikon Omega scope and dropped a 5 pointer at 237 yards. The deer dropped right there. This shot was not just a poke and hope...I killed 9 deer with this gun last year and this is the third this year. I can't say enough about this gun. This combination that I have is just awesome!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Trapshoot,
I use 150 grains of Tripple 7 powder and a 250 grain Shockwave bullet. I first sighted the scope in with the crosshairs zero at 100 yards. When I moved to the 200 yard target I simply fired using the 200 yard circle on the scope and amazingly I was within half an inch of dead center.

Many will argue that they do not have the accuracy using so much powder but the combination works great for my gun. I do not know if I just got lucky and have a "Best out of a thousand" but I have never seen a muzzleloader shoot as accurate as this one straight out of the box.

What powder and bullet do you use? Obviously you have a good combination also.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am really leaning toward the omega.it looks like there are 2 different types the omega and the z5.according to everything i have read. the z5 does not come with a thumb hole.does any one know if this is true,and what is the difference?

·
Registered
149 Posts
After reading this post I decided to take a look at the Triumph. Well needless to say I walked out of the store with one. What an amazing gun. I have always had low budget blackpowder guns. I have killed more then my share, but this gun is a real treat. I broke it in nicely yesterday on a big 7pter in the mountains. It was a spot and stalk mission, and I peaked over the ridge and took a 25yd shot. I look forward to shooting at longer ranges now. I highly recommend this gun.

Daniel

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the Encore Pro Hunter with the thumb hole stock and I love the thing. It handles and shoots great. Plus I now have the turkey barrel and just got a 7mm-08 for rifle season. 1 gun all seasons.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Just got back from the range. All I can say about this gun is WOW. It's super light, has a fantastic trigger and shoots incredible. I had my dad zeroed in at 100 in 3 shots. Then 3 more in a .75 inch group at 100yrds. He's not a fan of recoil so we kept his load at 100 grains. Who knows what I could have done with some powder tinkering. Normally I can pretty much find something wrong with any gun but for now I just can't find anything negative to say. If I had the funds I'd toss my Knight Disc for a Triumph in a heartbeat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts