Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know everything about it. Ive never done it. I bought an aftco complete kit today. It has light + med spars. I will use a yummee flyer on it. Which clip, how far up, where does the clip go when do I use it, best time to use it. Anything relevant please come off .......Thanks Guys...

·
Registered
875 Posts
First order of business is to return the aftco kite and get your money back. I have one and people told me to do the same thing (I didn't listen). People say, it doesn't fly high enough, it does fly wet, you name it.....Go to ebay and buy a $20 or $30 "parafoil" kite. Rumors have it that that style will fly wet or dry or calm...what ever. Now get a 42 inch broom stick rod and a tld 15 (or something like). Load the reel up with 200lb braid and get three aftco kite clips. I have a slick little system but I'd have to show you. I just got mine this year but have a buddy who uses his (who's I copied) for cobia fishing in OBX and it works like a charm.

Time to use it......when no one is getting trolling bites on super slow and flat calm days

Bill

·
Registered
149 Posts
just caught my first sail on a kite on Saturday so I'm no expert. I will say that the kite absolutely rocks. It is like bobber fishing for bluegills on steroids. I can only imagine when tuna or wahoo takes the bait. Some additions to what BillFisher said: The SFE kites are big down here in Miami and that is what I've got. A lot of people add a float to the bait rods which makes the line more visible. They also use a ceramic ring to allow the line to pass throught the release clip easier. None of that is too critical. What is critical is that you actively fish the rods to keep the baits skipping or just on the surface. When the wind is very light people use helium balloons to keep the kites up. One more thing, unless you buy the kind of release clips that clip on the line, you will need them to be staggered. You do this by having clips with different sized holes and you space them out about 50 yards apart with wind-on swivels in the kite rod line. The setup is a little tedious at first and you will want to play with the spacing at first. Oh no need to buy a special kite rod, just use a broken or a crappy but stiff rod. Another nice thing to have are rocket launchers that hold 3 or 4 rods and the kite rod together.

As for when to use it, any time you are drifting or anchored bait fishing. For drifting it is really good because it keeps the baits ahead of the boat, rather than trailing behinds. Also it keeps all the leader and terminal tackle out of the water. I guess some people troll with them too but I haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Good Point.....the ceraminc ring changes the angle the line goes through the clip.

Another good point woudl be that it Miami it's always blowing 20kts and they are only fishing a few miles off the beach......when it's blowing 20kts here you aren't fishing 65nm out....generally. So my kite advice was specifically for trolling......a little slower then normal.

Bill

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Bill- I am heading to Miami Sunday for some more sailfishing- I may need to borrow your kite rod- You got all the good toys so I may come to your next yard sale- Hope you had a good Holiday and New Year and I look forwad to getting offshore with you this year

Scott

·
Registered
534 Posts
I can't picture this ceramic ring thing--- can you please explain?
I simply flossed 2 loops in the spectra about 20' apart and clip my release clips to these.
I'm not worth a **** at this yet but practice makes perfect.
The only adice I can really give is to make sure the rod is safety harnessed to the rod holder, the wind will pick the rod up
Should you decide on the parifoil, Kitty Hawk kites sells them on line prettty reasonable.

·
Registered
875 Posts
GAW I like the idea of the loops.....mine have different sized spro swivels at 75 ft, 125 ft, and 175 ft and I have drilled the clips holes out to the approprate size so that the first spro will go through all but the last clip and so forth. It's delpoys easy and every thing is right there....no need to fiddle around looking for clips. It's a clip kite and go method. The cermanic or platic ring goes on the main line of the rod with the lure and that's what you put in the clip not the line. It changes the angle the line goes into the clip and allows for easy adjustment of bait height if you are using lighter weigh lures because of the angle and less friction. I too am no expert, but my friend is damn close and I also did lots of research on this topic before I invested.

Bill

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I bought the Aftco kite set. Haven't tried fishing with it, but the test flights weren't too impressive.

Lots of selections in parafoils, including on the Kitty Hawk Kites web site.

What size(s) are recommended?

Brian

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks Bill and gang, Bill hows momma and the baby? Hope well anyway maybe the next time we all get together for fight nite you can bring that set up over. I have been greensticking and now Im hooked on it but for my outboard boat I think the kite is the next best thing specially in hot summer 79-80 degree hatteras when u see em air en out on flyers and get get a bite. So the parafoil what size and anyspecific one? I am buying the **** out of baits ie: gotta bad a## Chaios jethead ,tons of crimps hooks jinkai crimper Im loadin up for thies season also getting a new outdrive on the old albie for spring so I wanna get this kite deal figured out..

Thanks

Thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
Brian, I had the medium ( 5?) and it worked great till I lost it in a real dumb move. I just replaced with the largest (7.5?) but haven't even used it yet. Don't really know why I went the the larger size.
As to dumb moves, if you're in a flybridge boat, let the capt set it out ( at least until it's up in the air good)--- the bridge creates a vaccume/down draft in the cockpit.
The Kitty hawks do fly if they get wet. I also noticed that the tails definatly help stabilize the kite

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Thanks for the responses on the parafoil.

The Aftco is likely to become a wall decoration.

Don't know whether to stick with a kite and get the SFE, or go with the parafoil.

But leaning towards the 'foil..

????????

Brian

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
After reading this post I logged onto Kittyhawk Kites and ordered the parafoil 5. With shipping it came to ~$40. I have used the Aftco for 3-4 years and have had problems getting it to work correctly. It was hard to get flying and if the wind was a bit harder it actually drove the kite towards the water. It did work however and I have caught tuna, dolphin, and white marlin from it. The gal from the kite store said they have been getting alot of orders for the parafoil the last few weeks, wonder why?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts