Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading south on Route 4, passed 301, a road side stand, has signs announcing their seafood offerings. The normal Shrimp sign, crab and lobster, and one that clearly states, "Piss Clams, Hard Clams, Soft Clams.

I thought I was seeing things, but driver confirmed seeing Piss Clam sign also.

So.... Whats a " Piss Clam" ?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
If I remember correctly they are Manoe clams and were used back in the day for chumming in the bay. Very soft shell clam that was easy to break up in a small coffee can and round wooden dowel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
On Chincoteague some people call manos piss clams. I used to dig them with Capt. Zed my step-grandfather in Tom's Cove on the seaside and Williams Point out of Saxis on the bayside. I belive we used to soak them over night in a bucket of water with baking soda so they would spit and clean out. They make good fritters but a lot of trouble to dig and prepare for the dinner table. They bury a lot deeper them regular hard clams. Some baysiders call razor clams piss clams. I am Chincoteaguer and we call quit a few things different then the baysiders.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
steam 'em up, rinse them in warm water, an dip in butter! Yum!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Heading south on Route 4, passed 301, a road side stand, has signs announcing their seafood offerings. The normal Shrimp sign, crab and lobster, and one that clearly states, "Piss Clams, Hard Clams, Soft Clams.

I thought I was seeing things, but driver confirmed seeing Piss Clam sign also.

So.... Whats a " Piss Clam" ?
Home Page at www.WeLoveClams.com

The soft-shell clam is also known as Manninose,
piss clam, long-neck clam, steamer, fried clam,
Ipswich clam, and belly clam. Its shell is so thin
and brittle that you can easily snap it into pieces
with your fingers. The entire clam is too big to fit
inside its shell. The siphon (also called the snout
or neck) hangs out. They're called piss clams,
because the siphon often sticks up through the
sand, and when you walk by, they squirt you

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sol Rosenberg knows what they are. Go ask him.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Manninose = piss clam. Used for chum until a hurricane wiped out the clam beds in New England in the late 60s or early 70s. That's when the clamming industry really kicked off in MD and piss clams became too expensive to bust up in a bucket for chum. Now they are a delicacy "steamers". When the clammers were dredging Brickhouse/Gum Thickets topwater was tiring.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
We used to go jigging back in the day with bucktails in my fathers 28 Ventnor flybridge. he would go to united shellfish building right there besides The Red Eyes dock bar at kent narrows and buy a bushel of those little pisser clams, crushed! we would chum em up and jig bucktails straight up and down. used to fill the boat with some fish!!!

Now thats some nice eatin bait right there,, Steamed with alittle butter,,,, mmmmmm

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well thank you for the explainations and clarifications.. I too enjoy steamers, just never heard them refered to as Piss clams.. I guess the word " Piss" on a menu, would have it's drawbacks.... :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Clam snouts are sold for fish bait. Mainly for Catfish. I cannot figure why they only sell the snouts and not the whole clam. If the clams are so scarce, where are the snouts coming from.

Ele

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ele, your thinking too hard, my dear friend... Who cares...:D Merry Christmas....

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Well, you wanted to know what they are. Now you know. I want to know why they sell the snouts and not the clams for bait.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Ele

1 - 20 of 27 Posts