Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We sucked. The end. Just kidding. We set a fuel use record for the year trying to find spanish or decent blues. Never have we fished so hard for 3 each spanish and small blues! From the public landing in the rap to Windmill to r1 to r2 pulled (two fish, one each!) and ran hard to the cut channel marked a lot but nothing, pulled and ran hard almost all the way to smith point (bouy 63) nothing to see. Tried Dameron Marsh, Fleets bay, nothing. Ran hard back to Windmill, nothing. Ran back to cut channel as that was where we marked the most. waded though multiple 10" spanish to get 2 more keepers and a couple more small blues. Ran BACK to the river to try to grab a spot or two but no idea where to go as we never target them. Only had a little time left, nothing. Weighed what we had at Norview for the tournament and headed for the barn to lick our wounds and drink a few beers.

Usually we do very well with Macs. Weird day. Started bump but laid down to flat by about 11am. At least we didn't get beat up too. How'd you guys do?

I'm going to relive the past with this one from last year! filled a cooler even with the boat breaking down by 11am and won it haha!

Scott Gregg
Fish Hard

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Scott. Misery loves company. I fished a little north of you with even worse results, had absolutely nothing to weigh in for the tourney! Posted the below on a separate thread. Better luck to both of us next time. Take care, Harry (My SAE)

"Hi all, I went out yesterday out of Lewisetta and worked from Pt. Lookout out to mid-bay and back. Only put two VERY small blues in the boat (actually, throwbacks!) for the effort. Neither of them hit planers........just the WWB Clarks on 3 & 4 oz. inlines. And I never saw breaking bait, everything stayed submerged. Is the water in that area simply too fresh or what......I expected better.

Also, two of my Clarks came back in the boat with hooks broken off at the screw. Anyone got an explanation for that? And....who carries replacement hooks? Thanks for reading....am just a little frustrated."

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Did NNAC do their tourney the same day as Dreamfields this past Saturday?

Joe asks . . .
The Northern Neck Anglers Club (NNAC) Spanish Mackerel tournament was held on Sunday Aug.19th. The tournament also included Bluefish and Spot. It was originally scheduled for the weekend (18th & 19th), but Saturday was cancelled due to Small Craft Advisory Conditions.

https://northernneckanglersclub.wordpress.com/

Since the Club uses 10 weigh-in locations, results are tabulated, verified and announced several of days after the event.

We were fortunate to catch Macs scattered throughout Sunday while fishing north of Windmill. Fellow NNAC & Tidalfish member Riverwatcher and I managed to turn in all 3 targeted species. Like others, we also caught a couple of tiny mackerel in the mix.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Well, we came close.
Tom and I finished second and third in the NNAC Spanish Mac tournament.
Congratulations to Tom Hedgpeth (who beat us).

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Northern Neck Anglers Club (NNAC) Spanish Mackerel tournament was held on Sunday Aug.19th. The tournament also included Bluefish and Spot. It was originally scheduled for the weekend (18th & 19th), but Saturday was cancelled due to Small Craft Advisory Conditions.
i see what joe was poking ... not sure if i would have admitted this info

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Thanks FishDontCare. Your insight is sharper than mine. Joe's comment went over my head. I didn't catch his implication (poke) that the Dreamfields tournament participants may have had more success than the participants in the NNAC tournament.

Actually, both tournaments ended up with impressive entries.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks FishDontCare. Your insight is sharper than mine. Joe's comment went over my head. I didn't catch his implication (poke) that the Dreamfields tournament participants may have had more success than the participants in the NNAC tournament.

Actually, both tournaments ended up with impressive entries.
I think you both missed my poke. My hope is that everyone simply de-conflicts their tourneys. In 2017 Dreamfields stomped on Bay Bash by re-scheduling to the 2nd week of August, whereas they always have conducted theirs the third Saturday of August. This year, I was glad to see Dreamfields move back to the traditional 3rd Saturday of August.

If NNAC took either the 1st Saturday or the 4th Saturday, we'd have no conflicts with the tourneys for the month of August. That way, everyone who wants to compete in all three has the opportunity to do so.

Although I'm not an organizer of Dreamfields, I'm rather protective of it cause I know it is a fundraiser for the Lancaster Little League and I don't want to see their numbers diminished by conflicting tourneys. They nearly hit their 60 boat target this year with 58 entries after a rather dismal showing last year. When you have that much participation, it is good for everyone .... participants and the beneficiary. The same goes for Bay Bash and the NNAC tournament.

Joe posts . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts